Chapter 7: The Four Founders

Start from the beginning

"My subject is History of Magic." Binns said "I deal with facts, Ms. Granger, not myths or legends." He cleared his throat and began reading from his notes again. "In September of that year, a subcommittee of Sardinian sorcerers-" He stopped noticing Hermione's hand in the air again.

"Ms. Grant?" He questioned, clearly getting her name wrong which caused me to let out a quick breath through my nose.

"Please sir, don't legends always have a basis in fact?" Hermione asked.

Professor Binns looked at her in amazement. "Well, you one could argue that, I suppose." He said. "However, the legend of which you speak is such a very sensational, even ludicrous tale." He looked around the class, realizing that everyone was looking towards him with interest. "Oh very well."

"You know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago-the precise date is uncertain-by the four greatest witches and wizards of our age. The four school Houses are named after them: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They built this castle together, far from prying Muggle eyes, for it was an age when magic was feared by common people, and witches and wizards suffered much persecution." Binns explained.

"For a few years, the founders worked in harmony together, seeking out youngsters who showed signs of magic and bringing them to the castle to be educated. But then disagreements sprang up between them. A rift began to grow between Slytherin and the others. Slytherin wish to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. He disliked taking students of Muggle parentage, believing them to be untrustworthy. After a while, there was a serious argument on the subject between Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Slytherin left the school." He continued.

"Reliable historical sources tell us this much." He said. "But these honest facts have been obscured by the fanciful legend of the Chamber of Secrets. The story goes that Slytherin had build a hidden chamber in the castle; of which the other founders knew nothing. Slytherin, according to legend, sealed the Chamber of Secrets so that no one would be able to open it until his own true heir arrived at the school. The heir alone would be able to unseal the Chamber of Secrets, unleash the horror within, and use it to purge the school of all who were unworthy to study magic." He said.

There was a silence as he finished telling the story, but it wasn't the usual, sleepy silence that filled his class. We were all uneasy as we continued watching him hoping for more. Binns looked faintly annoyed.

"The whole thing is arrant nonsense, of course." He said. "Naturally, the school has been searched for evidence of such a chamber, many times, by the most learned witches and wizards. It does not exist. A tale to frighten the gullible."

"Sir." Hermione said with her hand raised again. "What exactly do you mean by the 'horror within' the Chamber?" She asked.

"That is believed to be some sort of monster, which the Heir of Slytherin alone can control." Binns said. The class exchanged nervous looks. "I tell you, the thing does not exit. There is no Chamber and no monster."

Other students tried to argue with Binns about the Chamber. I zoned out thinkin about the creature that I sensed when Mrs. Norris was petrified. Was that the monster in the Chamber? Would I be able to control it or at least calm it down if I tried hard enough. But, I could barely stand its presence. It always gave me a headache if it went on too long. Perhaps it was too strong for me, at least at the moment.

"I always knew Salazar Slytherin was a twisted old loony." Ron said as we were out of Binns class. "But I never knew he started all this pure-blood stuff. I wouldn't be in his House if you paid me. Honestly, if the Sorting Hat had tried to put me in Slytherin, I'd have got the train straight back home."