Ch. 6 - Misunderstandings

'Don't look back, don't look back..!'

Cale hurried down the hall.

He was paler than usual, and beads of sweat decorated his sickly face.

He did not mind this, and continued walking with urgency.

Why was the esteemed former trash, Cale Henituse, walking with such shaking legs?

Gasps could be heard from the few attendants passing by in the hall. 

"The poor young master. Look how sickly he is!"

Upon the request of Duchess Violan, Cale was to rest in the Henituse estate until recovered.

Cale stumbled weakly into the library, where he quickly shut the door behind him.

'I'm done for!'

Cale Henituse was not shaking because he was ill.

In truth, he was terrified after disobeying the oldest dragon on the continent and the patriarch of the Molan household.

His scary assassin of a butler would surely pour lemon tea on his coffin.

Just thinking about it made him shiver.

'A closed casket funeral!'

Cale clenched the left side of his chest to calm his beating heart.

He looked around at the neatly kept library.

It seems the duchess had taken extra care to tidy it upon Cale's return home.

Shuffling in the corner of the library caught his attention.

"Young Master Cale..?"

"Miss Rosalyn."

Cale replied calmly.

He straightened his posture and returned to having a neutral expression.

"Young Master Cale! Are you alright? How are you feeling?"

Rosalyn hurried over to check Cale's condition.

She felt more than slightly concerned as she had been watching since Cale first came in through the door in a panic clutching his heart.

She saw how he straightened his posture and acted like nothing happened the moment he realized there was somebody in the room.

She felt pity and frustration.

'Can he not even trust people enough to show when he is in pain?'

"I am well, Miss Rosalyn. What brings you to the library?"

Cale did not like the look Rosalyn was giving him.

It made him feel as if there was some sort of misunderstanding.

"I was researching ways to help, ahem, heal individuals better with my magic."

Rosalyn shifted the book in her hand behind her back.

"Couldn't you ask Eruhaben?"

"Ah, well, healing is not exactly his specialty."

"...I see."

'But mages can't use their mana to heal anything?'

Cale thought it was strange that Rosalyn would check the library for information as opposed to working with Eruhaben in their lab.

"Pardon me, Young Master Cale, but I need to ask Eruhaben-nim some questions regarding the book I found."

Rosalyn smiled and quickly fled the room, sneakily shifting the book to her front as she did so.