Ch. 2 - Taunt

"Umm.." 

Cale regained his consciousness slowly. A sharp ringing in his ears at least confirmed he was alive.

'But why am I alive?'

Cale thought. It didn't make sense for the White Star to spare him. What use could he possibly have alive?

Cale shifted his position a bit only to realize his sight had yet to return to him and he was unable to move.

'Ah, it would make sense that bastard restrained me..'

'Damn it's uncomfortable.'

Cale complained to himself. He didn't mind the restraints too much, but the blindfold made him anxious. Being unable to record his surroundings was like taking away something as natural as breathing.

It also left him more vulnerable to getting lost in his records with no visuals to ground himself.

-----------------------

'Hey, Rok Soo! Don't you think you've been working long enough? You should get some sleep, I can stand watch tonight.'

'No, it's alright. Go rest, I'll be done soon.'

'Psh, you're full of sh*t.'

Kim Rok-Soo kept his gaze on the documents in front of him, choosing to ignore the prior comment.

7 minutes of silence passed before anyone spoke.

'Fine, stubborn bastard. Your hyung-nim will keep you company since you insisted.'

'We're the same age-'

'Ah ah, not so fast.'

Kim Rok-Soo finally glanced sideways at Choi Jung-Soo who seated himself not too far from him. 

'Hah..'

'Hey, you..! Why are you sighing like I'm the one who stays up late?'

Rok-Soo only turned to look away in response.

'So disrespectful to your hyung-nim..'

'We're the same- hm, never mind..'

-----------------------

The conversation in Cale's mind faded away to white noise along with his sense of present. He finally understood why the White Star kept him alive.

The White Star, who had been cursed to lose everything he loves, had thrown Cale away somewhere for only one reason.

'Loneliness.'

And now, the hero of the Roan Kingdom known across the entire Western Continent, former Commander Cale Henituse and the sworn brother of the crown prince was fated to rot away in some cave however long the White Star wished it. 

A breeze hit Cale's back. It seemed to be caressing him in a consoling way, but Cale had no way of knowing the Wind Elementals had stayed by his side while sending others off for help.

The chill reminded him of On, Hong, and Raon's warmth every night they slept together in bed. 

Thinking of the children made him think of everyone else.

A sharp pain in his stomach reminded him of Beacrox's cooking and Ron's tea.

The corners of Cale's mouth twitched up slightly.

He knew this feeling well.

'Ah.. it is kind of lonely.'

He smiled sadly to himself and the wall alone in that dark cave.