Seven

Chapter 7

Brad sat at the counter. His mouth curved into a grin.

Jackie stopped in mid-stride. "Hi, have you been here long?"

"I just got here."

"Can I get you something?" She walked behind the counter. "Want a burger or a Coke? Or coffee?" She glanced at the coffee machine. She was yammering but couldn't help herself.

His voice finally stopped her. "No, I'm fine. I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Why would I not be okay?"

"From before, when I was here last time. You seemed upset."

Her hand flew to her mouth, and a small oh left her lips.

"I thought about you all day."

"You did?" Her face flushed.

He nodded. "I wanted to make sure I wasn't the one to upset you."

"Upset me?"

He nodded.

She shook her head. "You didn't."

"I'm glad I didn't." His smile lit up the room. "I also wanted to ask you something."

"Oh?"

"Would you like to go for a drive with me? If you want to, that is."

She stared at him, her mind whirling. Of course, she would love to go for a drive with him! She glanced longingly at the world outside the diner's windows. She didn't dare venture outside even though she longed to do so. But no, not now, she couldn't. She couldn't possibly leave Kelly alone.

"No," she finally said with a sigh.

His face fell with disappointment. "I'm sure Kelly won't mind." He stumbled over his next words. "My name's Brad. . . Crawford. Kelly knew my whole family. We came in for dinner once a week."

"I think... I mean Kelly isn't feeling well, and I, well, to be honest with you, he scared me so bad today I can't leave him by himself."

"What happened?"

She picked up the coffee carafe. He nodded.

"He had some scary chest pains today," she said. "I was afraid I lost him."

"That bad?"

"That bad," she said as she set two coffee cups on the counter. She filled them with steaming coffee. "He got all gray in the face and broke out in a sweat. I didn't know how to help him."

"Want me to check on him?"

"I'm sure he's asleep by now. I don't want to bother him."

"He needs to see a doctor, but he has such a phobia about them."

"Yeah, he told me."

"Did he also tell you how stubborn he can be?"

"He didn't have to. I've been finding out on my own."

"And those cigars." Brad shuddered.

"I already got the lecture about cigars. And his eating habits." She giggled. "He's told me he's not changing for anyone."

Brad grunted. "Well, I would like to stay here with you if you don't mind the company?"

Jackie's heart lifted. "I'd like that."

He motioned to the stool beside him. "If you're not busy..."

She walked from behind the counter and took the stool next to his. A silence fell between them, so she picked up her cup and blew into the hot coffee.