第43章 - Anomaly

A/N: Yuta mentions in order to cope with how long it'll be until he actually reappears in the story. From Hiyori's perspective because she can't go a couple of hours without thinking about him. I would like to apologize for my horrific grammar in previous chapters ( I reread them in order to remember what I wrote). They have now been corrected!

Hiyori reread the lines of the old, blue book in her hand for the nth time

Hiyori reread the lines of the old, blue book in her hand for the nth time. She gnawed at her lip while twirling the pendant of her necklace in her other hand. She was reading the same words over and over again but she just couldn't seem to understand them no matter how many times she tried. 'For the ceremony to succeed, the following terms must be fulfilled: the presence of one that's existence goes against the natural order, bearings of the vengeful, blood of fate's prisoner, and the guardian of the moon.'

'The guardian of the moon....what is it? Who is it? What does it mean by natural order? Perhaps an anomaly? The vengeful....could that be referring to the Three Great Vengeful Spirits? That would make sense. As for fate's prisoner, does it mean K—'

"Hiyori, are you alright?" Hiyori looked up from her book to meet Nanami's gaze. She had been so absorbed in her thoughts that she didn't even realize he stopped looking at the file in front of him and directed his attention toward her.

"Ah, I'm alright. I was just lost in thought over something." She replied, shutting her book and placing it aside to focus on her dear uncle. The book could wait. She could analyze it whenever she was free but she couldn't just spend time with Nanami whenever she wanted.

"I could tell. Have you been eating properly? You seem to have lost some weight since coming back from Africa." Nanami inquired, already preparing to lecture Satoru about not feeding Hiyori properly. Perhaps he'd make a  reservation at that tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurant they used to go to together often. The chef made the most divine garlic bread.

Hiyori sank back into her armchair and chuckled lightly. "I'm alright, Nanami-oji. I've just been busy lately. You know how it is. There's so much work to do." She didn't need to elaborate for Nanami to know what she meant. By her words, it seemed her investigation into Itadori Yuji's past wasn't as fruitful as she wanted.

"How is Okkotsu-kun? Has he been treating you well?"

"Yuta's doing well and he treats me very well. He always seems to know when I'm up to no good though" Hiyori mused, lips quirking up in a small smile at the thought of Yuta. 'I hope he's been getting proper sleep without me there...'

"Up to no good?" Nanami inquired.

"Just when I'm eating too many sweets. He's grown concerned over my sugar intake so no more lollipops for me. I couldn't even sneak a couple during my trip because he'd find out one way or another" Hiyori mused, thinking about the adorable way Yuta's lips unintentionally pursed down in a pout whenever he discovered she had a lollipop. But hey, now that she was back in Japan and Yuta was still in Africa, he wouldn't know if she bought a bag of lollipops to eat. How would he know? He wouldn't.