第1章 - Meeting You

italics used for flashbacks/events from the past

A/N: Whether soulmates exist or not is up to your interpretation and belief.

Hiyori looked around while walking down the foreign streets of Sendai

Hiyori looked around while walking down the foreign streets of Sendai. Her violet-blue eyes scanned the pedestrians walking by in hopes of one of them being her adoptive father. Unfortunately, he was nowhere to be found. One hand fiddled with the bracelet she had made the night before.

She was completely and utterly lost.

"I told you to be careful, Hiyori." Her fox familiar, Tsuki, chided from her place on Hiyori's shoulder. Hiyori's lips curved down in a small frown. Tsuki sighed. She couldn't bear to lecture the little girl when she frowned like that.

"We should find a way to link your location with Satoru's somehow so this doesn't happen again. Next time, he can just teleport to you or I can teleport to him. It's not safe for a six-year-old to be walking around alone even if I'm with you." Tsuki said before looking around. Her eyes landed on a small park.

"Come on, why don't we wait at that park over there for Satoru. He has a better chance of finding us than we do of finding him." Tsuki offered, pointing a paw in the direction of the park.

"Okay..." Hiyori said, walking towards the park. She looked around before her gaze landed on a swing set. There was a raven-haired boy around her age – maybe a year older – sitting at one of them but the one next to him was unoccupied. He wasn't really playing with the swing. He was just sitting there, staring at the ground, as it swayed slowly. Maybe he was waiting for someone. She walked up to the little boy.

"Excuse me" Hiyori said. The raven-haired boy looked up. His dark ocean-blue eyes met her violet-blue ones. His eyes widened and his breath hitched at the sight of them. He'd never seen such mesmerizing eyes before. It was like the starry night sky had somehow been captured by a pair of eyes.

"Okasan, can you tell that story again? The one about the soulmates? I want Yuta to hear it too! He says he doesn't know what they are." Yuta's sister begged, tugging at their mother's apron. A pout on her lips.

Yuta stood awkwardly to the side with his hands pulling at the drawstrings of his pale yellow hoodie. 'I wonder if a soulmate is something you eat' He thought.

"Alright, alright, why don't you go sit down in the sitting room with your brother? But after this, you have to go do some reading"

"Okay!" Yuta's sister nodded her head excitedly before grabbing Yuta's hand and sprinting to the sitting room. Yuta's mother laughed while following her two children. His sister sat on the couch. She was jumping in her seat from her excitement. Yuta didn't know what was so great about this story. His mother sat down in the armchair.

"Tell it! Tell it!" His mother chuckled at his sister's enthusiasm.

"Alright, settle down now. They say that the gods tie an invisible red string on people's pinkies that connect them to someone they are destined to be with" Yuta's brows scrunched up at his mother's words. An invisible red string on his pinky? He stared down at his pinky finger and wiggled it.