[4] J A W A D

JAWAD.

"To what do I owe this pleasant visit," Khadijah says when I push her door open. She is sitting in front of the mirror, her back turned to me. She must have seen the reflection from the mirror to know I'm the intruder. I won't be surprised to know she recognizes me by just the sounds of my footsteps. She's Khadijah, after all-the intelligent princess.

"Stop making it sound like it's a big deal for me to be in your room." I make way to her bed. The huge quilt on her bed is hindering me from sitting. I shift it before lowering my body on her bed. I sit opposite to the chair she is sitting on, facing the mirror.

"It's not every day you find the strong prince in your room." she turns to me, "did you by chance lost your way?" a small smile plays on her lips, she grips the edge of the wooden carved vanity table,

"Khadijah," I refuse to cut my gaze away from hers, "stop playing with me, it isn't wrong to visit one's sister." She releases a loud scoff, then turn back to the mirror.

"When last did I see your mere shadow in my room." she raises her finger, then turn to me with her extended palm almost close to my face. "A week, a month..." She counts her fingers, "half a year, Jawad! Half a year," she emphasizes.

I realize how much I've been away from everyone, Khadijah is the closest to me in the palace, and I still haven't visited her for so long. I almost couldn't stop myself from coming down to her chamber when the blue-eyed maid leaked it to me that Khadijah was indisposed. I would have rushed to Khadijah's chamber if she hadn't stopped me immediately.

"I'm sorry, princess. I hope you forgive me for my misdeeds." She smears ointment into her palms while still ignoring me, her gaze is squarely on the mirror. "Consider my request, princess..." I press my elbow on the bed, and then lower my body further, "it's coming from prince ja6wad," I whisper.

She sucks in her cheeks like she's trying to conceal her smile, "I forgive you." She smiles. "I know you've grown, but you remain my favourite prince."

"I'm relieved to hear that, my princess. I remain loyal."

Khadijah and I talk some more, we touched the areas we have missed out on; politics, I tell her about my experiences while on pilgrimage. I know I like being alone, but it actually felt good to talk to someone.

I wanted asking Khadijah about her maid who stumbled mistakenly into my room just when her thoughts were on my mind, but I postponed it until I'm about to leave the room, and now is the perfect time for that.

I stand up from her bed while she stands beside me, "lest I forget, do you perhaps know the maid with blue eyes?" I ask. I know it's bizarre to hear a prince asking about a maid, but I can't help but kill my curiosity. I need to know the name of the woman who has eyes as clear as an ocean. Staring into her eyes can make one lost in its waves.

"A maid with blue eyes... maid with blue eyes." Khadijah tests my words on her tongue; maybe saying it out can make her brain single out her memory of a maid with blue eyes. "Oh yes! I know her," She beams out of excitement on getting the answers to my question. My ears wait impatiently to get fill with the news of the one that has taken over my thoughts.

"She was the one who helped me when I was ill-" Khadijah presses her palm on her lips, but she slowly releases it, and she's staring at me. "Wait... why are you asking about the maid?" she arches her brows. "And you don't look surprise to hear I was sick... that's very unlike you."

She cranes her neck to look into my eyes properly. Her brown orbs boring into mine, "they are two explanations for that, your honour. Either you don't care anymore or you're already aware, and the latter sounds more valid." I don't know if I forgot to mention that Khadijah is very smart.