[25] A M N A

AMNA

I don’t know for how long I lay on the bare floor bawling my eyes out, all I know is I jerk my head up when the door suddenly flings open. I expected to see a furious Jawad, but instead…

“Long time no see, dear friend.” She clicks her tongue. “Or should I say, dear maid.”

I drop my gaze back to the floor. “Tahira, please let me be. I’m not in for that right now.”

“I did not come here to strike a conversation with you…” she claps her hand. “Guards take her.”

I swing my head in her direction. “For what?”

Two guards charge towards me. I shift backwards, but can’t anymore when my back hits the bed. The two guards grab my arms.

“Get off me!” I yell. They pick me up from the floor, dragging me out of the door. “Get off me!”

“Stop yelling, woman,” Tahira thunders behind me. “Is that how you were taught to behave in Wahda? Keep shut or your death sentence will be moved forward.”

A heavy load drops at the pit of my stomach. How does she know? Did Jawad tell her? No…no…

I begin kicking my legs to prevent them from taking me further, I don’t want to end up in the dungeon… not again… no.

“Take that sneaky snake away.” I turn my head to look at her. She folds her arm across her chest and an evil smirk which I badly want to rub off remains on her face as they keep dragging me away.

“Leave me!” I thought yelling at the guards will somehow scare them off, but instead they tightened their grip, which makes me grunt in distress.

I quit protesting since it is proving to be futile. I let them hold me as we move inside the dungeon, and I’m thrown into a cell. And the door is fastened with a lock, leaving me sitting hopelessly on the uneven floor. The guards barely spared me a look as they left me in the silent dungeon all alone.

Dalia.

She is also in this dungeon.

“Dalia!” I shout at the top of my lungs. “If you’re in here, please reply… I’ve missed you and everything has not been going well. Please reply.”

I get no reply. I try calling her name a few more times, but still get a silent reply. My throat starts to hurt, which makes me give up.

Is she in here at all? I saw no one when I entered… did she leave? Or have she been kil—

“… I brought drinks for you all. You must be parched.” An oddly familiar voice says from a distance and soon after, all the guards begin to walk in the direction of the voice. I scrunch my brows confusedly. What is going on?

When I hear nothing apart from deep chuckles and voices, I rest my back on the wall, even though the stony edges of the wall graze my spine.

Soon after, I hear no chuckle or voice. The dungeon is so quiet that I can hear my breath. Stalking towards the bars, I grab them with my hands to see why the dungeon became so quiet, but nothing comes into my view except darkness.

It wasn’t this dark when I entered.

I hear silent footsteps behind the darkness. My heartbeat increases and my breaths become slower. The footsteps become louder, I remain glue to my position. It is not like I can run through the walls behind me. A massive figure appears before me.

“Amna…Amna. It’s Haider.” He says in a hush tone.

“Hai… Haider?” My eyes widen in realization. “What are you doing here?”