Encased Reflection ~3~

Chapter 3:

I woke up the next morning going straight to the glass. I seem to be doing that more often nowadays. I guess I just found a reason to wake up in the morning now. I was so happy and appeared at the mirror. Robert must have left this morning early. He left a note faced down so I could see the handwriting of the prince. He said he left for a while and will be back to take me somewhere. I looked to the bottom of the mirror and saw another rosebud. This rosebud however was different-a dark red rosebud. I smiled and admired the rosebud. It seemed that things appeared differently while I was in the mirror. Everything seemed giant to me in the mirror. I smiled and waited for the prince. 

I heard the door open, and there came in the maid again. I turned myself invisible when she came towards my table. She took the note away and threw it in the trash. She then took the rosebud and placed it in the vase with the orange rosebud. She then noticed my mirror and took a look at herself. She was staring at herself, thinking she was beautiful. I admit, I had to throw up a bit in my mouth. I hated people like her. Thinking they were most beautiful-conceited people. I went to my room, hoping to erase the image of the maid in my mind. Suddenly I began to shake and hold onto the table. I appeared again and looked at the glass. The woman… she is taking my mirror! She is stealing! I couldn’t do anything, and so I clung onto my table in hopes that Robert will find me.

Suddenly she stopped moving. It must be that Robert was walking in. She stopped and was stopped by Robert. I heard Robert, and noticed he must have looked at the table and didn’t see me. “Where is my mirror? Did you take my hand mirror? Maid Felicity, if you took my mirror, it is an unforgivable crime. Now either you give me my mirror, or I will make sure that you will be fired from the palace, and will not find work in this town again. If you give my mirror back right now, I will have the decency to let you off with a warning.” Robert said to Felicity, in a low, angry voice.

Felicity was scared that she took my mirror out with shaking hands. She took one quick look at herself, and gave it back to her. Her face was drained of any color. She had the look of fear and worries. She was all pale from her forehead down the chin. She was apologizing soon and was dismissed. She quickly ran and left the door.

I looked at Robert and was shocked. Robert looked as if he was slaved away! He was tired and dead. “Robert! Are you okay? Are you hurt? What happened? We need to go get you the palace physician! You nee-” I was interrupted by laughter. I looked at Robert, and all he did was laugh. He seemed to be laughing at me! “Stop laughing! How dare you laugh at me! When you feel like you are done laughing, call me back out. Hmph!” I said before leaving to the room. 

I sensed the other mirror again from yesterday and quickly moved to the mirror. I noticed the scrolls and journals again. I smiled, looking for the boy that was there yesterday. Sadly, the boy was not there, but someone was. The maiden I saw in the library was blond. She was quite a beauty if I must say so myself, but she was calling out to someone. “James. James! Come out now!” She yelled, looking around the room. I frowned, noticing she was throwing everything from the shelf. Stretching my neck, I was looking at the woman’s face. Her eyes were piercing blue, but then something happened. Her whole eyeballs turned black and her face showed veins. “James! I will find you!” She screeched, making me shut my eyes and ears. Concluding that I cannot stand it any longer, I moved back to my mirror. I checked on Robert first, and noticed that he was not there. Sighing in disappointment, I moved back into my room. Changing into my pink silk gown, I got ready for bed and sat down.

There was a white mist floating around the soles of my shoes. The air was humid and there was nothing else but trees around me. 

“Leave us alone! Please!” A woman called out. My attention focused on the scene that unraveled on my right. The woman was a bit blurry but it was obvious she was carrying a baby and born royalty. Her clothing was made of pure silk, which was rare nowadays, and the man that stood next to her, he was a commoner. His clothing were drabs and trousers for a young farmer. 

“I could. But I won’t,” The witch’s voice laughed. That was the same witch that took care of me as a young, before she rotted to a corpse. She continued, “You took away my son. My son who does not deserve a life with riches and people who distasted his kind of people. What good does it do to him, if the world you are bringing him into, does not accept him?” The witch was crying by then. 

What did she mean? Did the lady not want to leave her riches for a man she truly loved? “I am your son! Do not talk about me as if I am not here mother!” The man’s voice bellowed in the air. The witch stopped crying and frowned. “My son. He is not you. He would not have chosen a woman of blue blood and cold corpses for families. My son would have accepted the fact that he is better off without that woman there. He would have killed that child in her hands in order to rid himself any connection to her world.” She walked towards the couple and watched the lady with the baby clutch tighter and walked back into the man. 

Before the girl could scream, the witch whispered something under her breath that I could not even here, but the next thing I know was that the child in the woman’s arms, changed into a mirror. Speechless, the woman cried, and I walked closer. Looking at the mirror, I saw myself.

Gasping, I woke up. ‘What could that have been?’ I thought. I walked to my kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. Chugging down the cold waterfall, I felt refreshed. I rested the cold glass against my chest and smiled. I saw my parents. My family. I frowned. Although the witch was terrible to my parents, she took care of me. She was my grandmother. Gasping, I realized that I did not see my family’s fate. I don’t know whether or not they are alive or not! 

Hearing chirping, I did not notice that the night has turned into day already. Smiling, I got ready for a new day. Making sure I looked extra special, I got ready to show my face to Robert again. I bit my lip in hopes that he was okay, and forgive me for being a bit irrational about leaving him yester day. Smiling, I was ready to apologize, and I appeared at the glass and saw that the room was empty.