Chapter 19: Extra Money

My alarm went off once again, and I got up to get a potholder and take out the skillet. I used the spatula from before to place two cuts of meat onto our three plastic plates, and collected three knives and forks for each of us. I handed out dinner to the twins and I sat down again to eat my food.

My mind was still racing from seeing that man for the first time.

Dennis Jones, huh?

I wanted to ask Charlotte about what had happened to her, but I really didn't want to bring up painful memories again, so I figured I'd save it for another time. I guess the stress from the last couple of days finally caught up to me, because the moment I finished my plate, I passed out.

I woke up to the twins talking about some things Charlotte had discovered when she was looking up what she might experience from pregnancy. I gave her the pregnancy test earlier at work that day, but she refused to take it. She said she didn't wanna mess up my day while I was at work,

Even after I assured her she could take it then, she still refused. I knew she was afraid of the result. Terrified, even. I would be too, as I was already scared for her now.

She told him how she read women with POTS had a higher chance of miscarriages. Her voice broke a little as she said the only thing worse than having a baby was losing it before she had the chance to meet it. Teddy agreed and offered some advice and assured her that she'd be fine.

I sat upright and stretched a little before turning to the twins.

"Have you taken the test yet?" I asked Charlotte. She shook her head. "I wanted to wait until you woke up so we could see the result together." I nodded and reached over to hug her. I assured her that she'd be fine.

"I know this is a very hard decision, but I'd like to know if you've thought about what you want to do." I continued. "I think I want to keep the baby." My eyes widened a bit, and I released her from the embrace.

"Are you confident in your choice? I'll support you no matter what you choose, but I don't want you to feel you need to have that man's child." I stressed my point. I didn't want her to have an abortion, due to her young body being at a higher risk for infections and hundreds of other horrible things, but it'd still be 100% safer than giving birth to a baby.

Besides, I didn't want her to have to raise the product of a rape. Some people do that, and they don't regret their decisions, but she was only 10. She didn't deserve any of this.

"I'm sure, Terry.." She thought for a second, "I think I'm ready to take the test."