Limbo

Casta walked barefoot down the cold corridor of the palace towards her mothers room briskly. Something told her that her mother was upset with her, but she couldnt find a good reason as to what she could have done to earn her sweet mothers wrath. Casta picked up the pace causing the smacking sound of her feet on the stone tiles echo around her. Could she have angered father a final time? Did Mina say something?

A sharp pain radiated down Castas right arm making her stop just short of her mothers door to investigate the source of the pain. Nothing. There was not a single scratch or bruise causing the pain, but it was gone as quickly as it came.

Are you going to just stand out there or come in? Im already quite cross, came a raspy voice.

Casta pushed herself into the room and face the wasting woman in the bed who was sitting upright with a stern glare on her gaunt face. Casta crossed her hands in front of herself and lowered her gaze to the floor in fear of further persecution.

I am highly disappointed in you, Casta. Not only did you lose my ring, but you failed to kill Devon Finn. In shock, Casta looked to her right hand finding the ring indeed gone. Her arm throbbed in pain again making her wince.

Honestly, I shouldve had your father keep you in that tower until you rot, she said almost to herself. but, alas, that is not what the Queen had in store for you.

Casta took a threatening step towards her mother, What do you mean by you told father to keep me in the tower?! You mean to tell me that you ordered him to isolate me all these years?!

The skeletal woman laughed so hard she clutched her chest in discomfort, Do you truly believe your spineless father is capable of anything more than eating and following orders? That dunce couldnt run this province without Celestial intervention!

A knock sounded at the door and Casta began to back away from her mother in an effort to answer it. You had best not dare answer that, Casta Marie Lawrence, her mother hissed.

The knock sounded again and this time Casta lunged towards the handle making her mother shriek in anger. Once she opened the door and escaped, a bright light blinded her making her fall forwards onto the floor.

Once her eyes grew accustomed to the light Casta found herself sitting in the palace gardens overlooking the calm ocean. How was this possible? She was just inside her mothers room? Her right hand throbbed in pain again, but before she could examine the source, someone cleared their throat calling her attention.

Miss Lawrence, you have caused quite a stir. Mina sat on the grass next to a confused Casta and fixed her skirts in the process. What is going on, Mina? My hand hurts, mother is going insane, Im going insane.

Mina laughed wholeheartedly, You are not going insane, miss. You have a decision to make here. Do you want to stay and rest, or return to your captain? At the mention of Captain Finn, Castas hand lit on fire making her hold it to her chest again. I can not stay here. I have to go to him.

Mina stood from the grass and held out her hand for Casta to take. She accepted the help up and Mina led her to a wrought iron fence in the garden. She opened it and Casta stepped inside letting the pain from her hand take over her completely once more making her eyes shoot open.

She was home.