family?

•nine years ago•

"God Emma why are you such a disappointment!?"
"I'm sorry! I- I didn't do it on purpose!"
"That ain't no excuse! Do you know how expensive that was! I'm gonna make yous wish yous was neva born!"
"I hate you!"
"Ima beat ya out a ya mind kid!"

Emma's parents yelled at her obviously drunk out of their minds.  She had only bumped into a table that knocked over a vase, while bringing her father another bottle of beer that he ordered her to do.  It really wasn't that big of a deal, any other parent would simply forgive the crying child but not hers, instead they always resorted to abuse.  But Emma was too young to understand, she thought that every parent must act like this.  Her parents never showed any love, not to her or each other, in fact they hated each other, the only time they ever agreed was when it came to yelling at the poor six year old girl, who didn't know any better.  Every night the same yelling and hitting would occur but this time she was going to do something.  She was going to leave.  Anything could be better than here.
"Do it, John! Make the brat regret what she did!"
Her mother yelled picking up the glass.

After her punishment she ran into her room barricading her door to keep her parents out, she packed just a few pieces of clothing.  Clothing like one pair of boots, a few shirts some that she took from her mother, some skirts as well, one of her mother's long skirts for the future because if she knew one thing, it was that she would never come back here.  Every time she moved around her room scurrying to find necessities she felt sharp pains from where her father had beat her with his belt, but she wouldn't stop, she couldn't stop.  She packed her bag and snuck out through the window of her room, careful not to make a single sound and once she got out she ran.  She ran as fast as her legs could take her.  She lived in Brooklyn and she ran all the way to Manhattan.  As she was running so fast that she wasn't watching where she was going and next thing she knew she was on the ground with a dark brunette boy holding his and out to help her up, he looked around 8 maybe 9 years old. She was hesitant to take his hand as her whole body was shaking. The boy looked to be sweet, once she stood up she was ready to run again but the boy took her by the arms which made her wince, she didn't quite know it it was from pain or fear that all men were just like her father and was going to hurt her.

"Hey, hey where you going?"
The boy asked concerned, furrowing his eyebrows.
"I-I'm sorry I wasn't w-watching where I was going."
She stuttered, once again she was ready to leave and run away as fast as her little legs could take her.
"Hey you okay?"
He asked and she shook her head 'no'.
It was then when he realized all the bruises on her face.
"Hey come with me."
He told her but she was hesitant at first. She stared down at his hand that was extended out to her, she had no where else to go and this boy seemed like he wanted to help her, but she couldn't get the thought of her father and being trapped with someone like him out of her head.
"Okay what about this you come back with me and I can get you into a nice bed and get you something to eat and drink. Does that sound good?"
He asked her. She continued to stare at the boy. Till she decided.
"O-okay- you- you w-w-won't hurt m-me will you?"
She stuttered out, tears brimming at her eyes.
"No! No. Ise promise! I ain't gonna hurt ya, just follow me."
The boy told her smiling sweetly at her.
As they were walking, she saw as the boy's eyes widened as he saw two other boys around his age they looked almost identical a few differences but only if you really looked.
The boy with her dunked as he pulled her down with him. He put his finger on his lips signaling to be quiet.
"Dat's da Delancey broders, yous wanna to steer clear a dem."
The boy told her hushed, his Manhattan accent was strong. Emma simply nodded, too scared to say anything.
Once the Delancey brothers past them, the boy continued to lead her to their destination.

He ended up leading her to a house that had a sign that read, 'Manhattan Newsboy Lodging House'.  He brought her inside and as he did all the newsies gave him confused looks.  Girls weren't allowed in the lodging house, only Newsboys. The leader of the newsboys, Luke, stopped him at the bottom of the steps.