9: Hopper Vs Steve

Start from the beginning

"At least I got the girl," Steve shot back and smirked.

"Touchè. But might I remind you that I got your friends and your reputation," Billy said and Steve rolled his eyes.

"Keep em both, I don't care. I got better friends and popularity is nothing but a scam."

Billy nodded in agreement before letting out a very loud groan.

"Ugh...do you actually want those friends back?" He asked and I laughed out loud at the fact that he found Tommy H and Carol just as annoying as I did.

"They suck don't they?" I said and Billy nodded.

"Tommy is rude as shit to everyone and Carol is so damn whiny. Those two assholes are never gonna get anywhere in life until they smarten up."

"Tell me about it. I swear Tommy and Carol are past leech, they just latch onto whoever is king of the school for the year," Steve added and scoffed at the thought of his former friends. "You gonna ditch em?"

"They're apparently headed to California in the summer after they graduate so they're ditching me. Good riddance and I'll be too busy anyways," Billy told us and I raise a brow.

"Got plans?"

"I was a lifeguard for eight years back home so I'm guaranteed a spot as one this summer."

"So...if I drown you'll rescue me?" I inquired and Billy chuckled with a nod.

"Only if your wearing a string bikini, then I might consider it," Billy shot back as Steve glared at him.

"Guarantee that you'll be the one wearing it...bra and all...and I might just show up for a swim."

Billy let out a laugh and held out his hand and I shook it, grinning wide. Maybe the dude wasn't that bad after all, just troubled.

"You got it Hopper, I'll see you in summer," Billy assured and stood as we did the same. He held out a hand to Steve who hesitated before shaking it. "Keep her close Harrington, you got yourself one hell of a catch."

Steve nodded in agreement before Billy walked out of the cafe and jumped into his fancy car before speeding off.

"Well that was interesting," I muttered and Steve nodded in agreement. "I mean, if we can get Billy Hargrove to like us, my dad is gonna be a cake walk."

"You got that right."

"I'm proud of you for saying that to him."

"He asked me to forgive but I can't forgive him for all of it just yet, there needs to be something more."

"According to his mind there is, I have faith," I assured and smiled before grabbing Steve's hand before we walked out of the cafe and over to his car.

Once inside, Steve sped off towards my house and I let out a nervous sigh, hoping for the best. I've never been to a more important dinner and I had to hope that dad wouldn't grill Steve that much. But I already knew the truth...that he would grill him a hell of a lot more.

***

I was practically shaking as Steve parked in front of my house and killed the engine, letting out a final sigh. I rubbed my sweaty hands on my jeans before giving him a nod. He smiled at me before hopping out of the car and heading over to my side to let me out. I nodded in thanks and stepped out before grabbing his hand and walking over to the front door. I let out a loud sigh before knocking, hoping that dad wouldn't find it weird.

"You didn't have to knock," he said as he opened the door and smiled at the two of us. I rolled my eyes before wrapping him in a quick hug then turning back to Steve.