9: Hopper Vs Steve

Start from the beginning

"Tell him that," I said and Steve glanced at me. "Exactly what you told me."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he'll understand, I guarantee it. Now...we should think about leaving," I said and Steve nodded as I knelt down to grab my bag.

As I was coming back up I noticed someone walking towards us and let out a curse. Steve raised a brow but turned and groaned when he caught of him as well. The Billy Hargrove was waking towards, still sporting a mullet and his jean only ensemble.

"Harrington, Hopper...can I talk to you?" Billy asked once he stopped in front of us.

"That depends...what about? Also, how the hell did you find us?" I asked and Billy sighed.

"I stopped by your place and your dad said you were both here. Look, I just wanted to tell you both that I'm sorry, for everything," Billy admitted and my eyes widened before I nodded towards a chair that was next to us.

Billy grabbed it and took a seat on it backwards, clasping his hands in front of him, elbows resting on the chairs back.

"So...why did it take you a month?" I inquired and glanced at Steve, wondering why he wasn't saying anything.

Though a quick deep dive into his mind let me know that the guy was still terrified and I had just noticed his knee was shaking. I wrapped my hand in Steve's and squeezed as Billy stared at the gesture, looking almost hurt.

"I was talking to Max and it all came flooding back to me what happened and what I did. I went too far the minute that I pulled up to the Byers house if I'm being honest," Billy said and I nodded, he was right about that. "I never should've freaked out like that and I'm sorry to both of you for what I did and to Lucas Sinclair, I went by there yesterday. I heard from the guy at the station that I broke a bone in your face." Billy turned to Steve and he swallowed hard before nodding. "Damn, and I also pushed you into a wall Hopper. I don't know what came over me, I was just possessed. But I can't change the past, I can only atone for it and that's what I'm doing."

I sat back and thought for a solid minute as Steve's free hand brushed against his right brow bone. He had a small car near the top of his eyebrow from the stitches and I would occasionally catch him staring at it. The fight with Billy really got to Steve and I knew that he wasn't looking to forgive him that easy. But I was and knew that the reminiscence I used on him worked.

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and forgive you," I said and Billy's eyes widened. "I'm impressed that you were willing enough to own up to what you did, it takes guts."

I glanced at Steve and he sighed at the fact that I referenced what he just admitted about Barb. Both him and Billy did something they regret, not on same caliber however, and they both had just owned up to it and apologized, recognized their mistakes. It was impressive to see two high school boys finally act like men.

"Fine...I forgive you," Steve muttered and Billy smirked. "But only for what you did to me. Not for what you did to Lucas or Ren or Max. You can't be forgiven for that and I'm sorry."

I raised a brow in shock as Billy stared at Steve, his mouth set in a straight line. It was impressive that Steve was willing to stand up to him like that, to be bold enough to actually tell him how he felt. Billy had been an abusive ass to Max for years and him apologizing to her and us doesn't really fix that...does it?

"I'm not gonna fight you on that logic and I'm working towards doing enough to earn all your forgiveness. Thank you, both of you, that makes me feel better. So...what are you guys up to?" Billy asked and I raised a brow.

"Uh...Steve's having dinner with my dad later so we're getting ready, hyping ourselves up," I said and Billy chuckled.

"Dinner with the chief when you're dating his daughter, I would hate to be you Harrington," Billy remarked and Steve glared at him.