Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

"I talk in knots, I know. I confuse myself sometimes."

He moved to the slider and tugged it open. A sharp wind whipped through the family room and she shivered. "I'm going to get a sweatshirt as well. It's chilly out there."

He grinned. "You are such a Midgardian, as you'd say."

"I'll remind you of that when it's ninety-five degrees out there and you're kvetching about how hot it is."

"That is hot and you'll-what was that word?-kvetch about it as well."

"Go. I'll be out in a minute." She went upstairs to their room, which ran the entire length of the house and had an amazing view of the water. She dug through her suitcase until she found her favorite black Rutgers sweatshirt and tugged it over her head. Then, she went back below, looked in on Selig and Aislinn, and then made her way into the kitchen to retrieve the bottle of pinot grigio from the fridge. Wine glasses were in the cabinet next to the fridge, she found a corkscrew in the silverware drawer, and made her way outside.

Loki lay back in a reclined beach chair, his eyes closed, his hair fluttering lightly in the wind. She set the bottle and glasses on the table between his chair and the empty one beside him and just smiled down at him. He looked perfectly at peace, his hands folded one atop the other and resting on his belly. He wore jeans and a white Henley, but he'd taken off his boots and socks.

"Are you asleep?"

"Not yet."

She sank into the other chair and without opening his eyes, Loki said, "There's room here for you, love. You don't take up much space."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

"Okay, but don't complain to me if you're squished."

"I'll take my chances," he replied dryly.

She shifted, carefully sinking into his chair and curving against him. He draped his arm about her shoulder, kissed the top of her head, and whispered, "See? Perfect."

"Mmmm... this is perfect." She snuggled against him, tucking her head against his chest and easing her arm about his hips. Drowsiness crept over her and without meaning to, she drifted off.

***

"Mommy?"

McKenna opened her eyes, blinking sleep out of them to find Selig and Aislinn standing over her and Loki sound asleep next to her. "What's the matter, sweetie?" she asked, trying to shove the grogginess from her mind.

"Nicky's crying."

Loki groaned softly behind her. "What's going on?"

"We fell asleep and your younger son is very unhappy about that. Sel, what time is it?"

"Four-thirty."

McKenna rubbed her eyes. "Okay, Loki, why don't you get dinner started and I'll get Nicky fed?"

Loki groaned again. "Why don't we just eat in Point Pleasant?"

Selig's eyes lit up. "Can we, Mommy? Please?"

"Pwease, Mommy?" Aislinn chimed in.

"Okay. You two go put jeans and sweatshirts. It'll be cool on the boards."

Loki swung his legs over the side of the chair and stood with a groan. "Come along, little bit," he said, holding his hand out for Aislinn. "I'll help you."

"Okay, Daddy."

McKenna sighed as Loki and the children went inside, while she picked up the unopened bottle of wine and glasses. Maybe later she and Loki would open it, but most likely they'd be too tired by the time they got home from the boardwalk as well.