22. Night Out

Depuis le début

Oh, God... now I was nervous about the date. But maybe not in a bad way.

*****

I was getting increasingly nervous as the day went by. Whenever I was left alone, all I could think of was that damn skirt. I was supposed to wear it in public. In a place full of classmates. On a date with the fucking Nicholas Gabriel.

What was I doing...?

I got mad at myself while I waited for Nic by his car. I did not fucking care what other people thought. Nic said I looked good in the skirt, and that was all that mattered.

But what if...?

I shook my head, forcing myself to stop thinking about the skirt, but it didn't take long before it was back on my mind. I sighed and cursed myself for my insecurities.

What if we got to the bar... And Nic suddenly decided he didn't want to be seen with me after all? What if... What if people made fun of me, and he'd join them? What if he laughed at me and called me bad names, just like the rest of them had...

"Stop," I hissed at myself. "You fucking insecure bitch..."

Nic wouldn't do that. He would not do that. I had an amazing guy as my boyfriend, and I was not letting myself to ruin that by giving into my fears and insecurities. I had something great, and I'd nearly missed out on it because I'd let my fears control me.

Thankfully, Nic stepped out of the building at that moment, so it was easier to push the negative thoughts out of my head. Especially after he called my name with a big smile on his face, his voice cheerful.

He looked so much better already.

"Hey, if you don't mind," he spoke when he stepped in front of me, "I kind of accidentally blabbered about our date, and Jessica and Allan and Cecilia are now going too because I kind of accidentally made them excited about it, so... You don't mind if they kind of... meet us there?"

"How do you accidentally...?" I trailed off when a smile appeared on my lips at the thought of him talking people's ears off about our date.

Yeah, fuck you, insecurities...

"I just... didn't realize they'd want to go too if I talked about it," he said. "I know this is supposed to be our date. I can tell them we're not hanging out with them though. They'll understand. I mean, they know it's our date."

"I'm fine with hanging out with them," I said. "They're your friends, and I suppose I should get to know them better."

"Yeah?" he said, his expression excited. "You'll love them. They're good friends. Not backstabbers who are only looking to gain something by hanging out with me."

"Wow," I cooed. "You are finally able to call them by their real names?"

"Who?"

"The backstabbers," I said with a smirk.

"Is it too harsh?" he asked.

"No. Not at all," I said as he unlocked the doors.

We sat in his car, and he started driving. Only a minute later, he flashed a big grin in my direction.

"What?"

"I get to see the skirt again," he said.

I rolled my eyes in amusement. "You're making a big deal out of it just to make me feel better about wearing it."

"What's wrong with that?" he asked, focusing on the road but still smiling.

"Nothing, I guess," I said, watching him closely.