01 | The Heir

In the opulent halls of the Luna Sanctum, a symphony of preparations unfolded. As dusk settled upon the grand estate, golden lanterns were lit, casting a warm and enchanting glow upon the scene. The air hummed with anticipation, vibrant with the whispers of eager guests and the rustling of silk.

The skilled maidens, their nimble fingers moving with meticulous precision, worked their magic on bolts of luxurious fabric, transforming them into mesmerising works of art. Along the edges of the robes, embroidered creatures in golden thread emerged, representing the powerful realms they embodied, snaking their way with mesmerising grace. Each stitch and seam they crafted was a testament to their expertise, nimble finger tips gliding over the fine material like graceful dancers performing an intricately choreographed routine. 

The fine fabric radiated a subtle sheen, their beauty enhanced by the soft, enchanting glow of lantern light. Delicate blossoms that entitled the season of livelihood, painted with the utmost care and precision, added an ethereal touch; a vibrant symphony of colours, ranging from the regal crimson of imperial authority to the serene hues reminiscent of moonlit gardens.

Under the moonlit sky, just outside the main chambers, a majestic portico began to take shape. Male servants, their muscles flexing with exertion, meticulously arranged pillars and draped exquisite silk fabrics. Their brows glistened with sweat, as they toiled to erect the structure.

The little ones of those who tended the sanctum, adorned in vibrant attire, flitted about like colourful butterflies. Their laughter, as pure as the moon dew, resonated through the air. Tiny hands adorned with delicate flower petals, busily arranged stunning floral displays, the laughter filling the long hallways.

All the chambers in Sanctum buzzed with a harmonious blend of pleasant chatters and melodies, as musicians fine-tuned their instruments, lending honey-like pieces to the dark veil of approaching night.

The sweet fragrance of night-blooming flowers intertwined with the aroma of delicacies being prepared, wafted through the air, enticing the senses. It was just the night before the Ritual Ceremony, yet the atmosphere was as merry as the festival itself.

Amidst the bustling activity, a young man with a discerning eye navigated the labyrinthine corridors, his presence gone quite unnoticed. The young Heir moved like a shadow, stealing glimpses into the unfolding tableau, keenly observing each detail. A mischievous smile danced upon his lips, hinting at a secret plan brewing beneath his dashing exterior.

His gaze wandered, capturing fleeting moments of camaraderie and shared laughter between servants and noble guests. His hands fidgeted with a crumpled piece of paper that had mysteriously found its way into his possession.

In a lone corner of a corridor, a little away from the hustle and bustle of the night he found his target. It was one of the many maidens assigned to his chamber, his favourite among all. The Heir would notice her even from afar.

Immersed in her work, the young lass had no clue of her predator, busy arranging some essentials for the upcoming banquet. Her nimble hands moved with grace, and her eyes stayed focused. A mischievous idea sparked in the young fella's mind.

With a playful glint in his eyes, he crouched behind a nearby pillar, the gigantic structure easily covering his slender frame. Rolling the paper he had been playing with, the young heir aimed at the oblivious maid before launching it towards her.

It lightly brushed against her shoulder before landing on the wooden floor behind her. Startled, she paused, eyes wide, searching the surroundings. Finding no one, she crouched down to pick up the paper ball and uncrumpled it.

Seizing the moment, he approached her, crouching by her side and whispering in her ear. "You seem very busy today, aren't you?"

The maid almost lost her balance, taken aback by the ghostly whisper. He caught her before she landed on the wooden floor, their eyes meeting. A smile blossomed on her face upon recognizing her master.

"You startled me, My Lord," she playfully pushed him away.

He chuckled softly, releasing his grip. "Oh, did I, now?" 

Rising to his feet, he helped her up. "I've been searching for you all day," he exclaimed.

"I've been occupied with the preparations, My Lord," she replied, her voice sweet like honey in his ears. "Tomorrow is the day My Lord bestows his charms upon us all. What good am I if I can't even do this much for you?"

He chuckled, the sound rich and infectious. "You're so good to me all the time."

He proceeded to skillfully pluck a single blossom from a nearby pot and gently tucked it behind her left ear. She looked up, her eyes sparkling with a mixture of amusement and restraint.

"What brings you here, My Lord? Shouldn't you be preparing for tomorrow's ceremony? I heard those chants are pretty long and hard to memorise." she asked, resuming her task of organising the items on the table and placing them neatly into different baskets.

"I'm not one for formalities, you know that," he sighed, leaning against the table, his gaze fixed upon the enchanting maiden. "Besides, I have gone through all the three volumes of Noctilumina like fifty times already. I'm feeling rather bored now."

She stole a quick glance at him. "They say you're a genius and that's true." she responded, a hint of amusement in her voice. "So, what do you plan to do next My Lord?"

The mischievous expression returned to her lord's face. He leaned in slightly, a playful twinkle in his eyes. "Care to spend some time together?" he proposed.

"Tonight?" she asked, surprised. "It's the rehearsal night of your Ritual Ceremony. We should't be--."

"Shh--It's still early evening, Sea. We have plenty of time before the rehearsal begins." he assured, the mischievous glimmer in his eyes encouraging the subtle blush blooming on the beautiful maiden's cheeks. 

With a teasing smile, he took a step closer, "We'll come back before midnight."

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

Hours later Auden was back at venturing in the ceremony grounds.

He still had half an hour before the rehearsal started. The loose shirt and pants he was clad in, now adorned foreign creases to them, speaking volumes to the quality time he had had with the girl. A small fond smile appeared on his face as he recalled the events. He truly adored this girl.

Slowly he ventured deeper into the heart of the preparations, guided by the soft moonlight streaming through arched windows, exploring hidden chambers and corridors pulsing with life. Amongst the grandeur, the young man's footsteps led him to a hidden terrace, perched high above the shimmering world below. It lowered to his study, his sanctuary where he found solace, a heaven where his imagination thrived. 

The scent of aged parchment mingled with the tang of ink, filling the air with an intoxicating nostalgia. In the dimly lit room, a lone candle flickered like the hope and resentment that flickered in and out of the young Heir. 

Sat alone on the terrace, the moon casted a silvery glow upon his chiseled facial features. The weight of his impending escape bore down upon him, a heavy burden tinged with excitement and apprehension.

A familiar hiss seemed to echo within the depths of his mind. And then he felt it. Another presence lingering in his study.