Fire

(SONG FOR FIRST HALF; "Queen of Peace: Florence+the Machine)

"The Hungarian Horntail."

Kara stared at the miniature dragon in the palm of her hand. The three champions had been instructed by Dumbledore and the other school headmasters to reach into a magical pouch to produce what they'd be up against in the first challenge.

Dragons.

Each champion was now holding a miniature but live representation of the actual Dragon they'd go against in the field. The dragons were protecting a golden egg and all the students had to do was retrieve it. Unfortunately for Kara she had pulled the most fearsome dragon out of the bag. Now her mini Hungarian Horntail was walking aggressively across her palm blowing flames towards her.

Sam snickered off on the side and Maggie gave Kara the best attempt at an encouraging smile. They informed the champions on any other rules and soon the headmasters left the tent and the tournament began.

A loud canon went off and Samantha walked out of the tent somewhat hesitantly to begin her round of the competition. Kara and Maggie paced the tent nervously as they heard loud yells, roars from the dragon, and the anxious screaming of the crowd.

What seemed like an eternity later a new canon sounded and it was Maggie's turn. Kara clapped her on the shoulder and wished her luck before she set off to fight her dragon.

Kara's heart was pounding in her chest. She had never come face to face with a dragon before, but she did remember from her mystical creatures class with Hagrid that they were tremendously big and strong. Maggie's dragon roared outside and Kara flinched slightly. She had to calm down and focus. Her anxiety was getting to her but if she didn't keep a cool head she'd never move on in the tournament.
Come on Kara get it together. Focus.

Suddenly Kara was imagining Lena, laughing at her as they studied together. Her eyes twinkled, the scent of lavender filled the air between them.

Kara smiled, her heart had stopped racing.

The memory of Lena wrapped her up in a protective cloak and she felt herself fill with determination. She was going to win this tournament.

Finally Kara's canon fired.

Stepping out of the tent it was the first time Kara noticed just how different the quidditch pitch was. In it's circular shape the grass had been replaced with rough and rocky terrain that Kara had to navigate through. Some of the rocks were steaming from what she could only assume had been an encounter with the dragons fire. 

The next thing Kara noticed was the crowd in the stands. They sat frozen in anticipation and Kara noted the feeling in the air was quote different from when she would fly in front of a crowd during a quidditch match. Some students had tears in their eyes. Others seemed to be quite literally gripping the edges of their seats.

What in Merlin's beard had gone on out here. 

It didn't take long for Kara to find out. 

The moment she spotted the golden egg atop a rather large and spiky rock, the Hungarian Horntail swooped down in one quick and aggressive motion and Kara was thrown back by the sheer force of the wind. Kara gasped and so did the crowd. People were chanting for her to get up. 

Kara was taken back for a moment but she shook her head and stood up slowly. She never broke eye contact with the dragon before her. It had incredibly spiky skin and wings as large as the quidditch goal posts. Woah, Kara thought. But she wasn't going to let this stop her. The next move this dragon made she'd be ready. 

The dragon roared and defensively stood in front of the egg. Kara had to get this thing to move so she could get a chance to run at the egg. But how could she get it to move!