Chapter 5 - "Love is overrated..?"

Začít od začátku

"I didn't mean it. I am sorry. I am so...rry."

She sobs out. Manik holds her both hands and softly frees himself from her embrace. He flips slowly and faces Nandini. She is still sobbing while standing with a bending head. Manik cups her face and lifts it to look into her eyes.

"What is bothering you? Do you want me to cancel the party?"

His tone is gentle. Nandini wobbles in denial.

"Promise me. You won't join the mafia gang. Manik I love you. I know your ambition, your goals and your wishes are not as simple as mine. But every achievement comes with a cost and I am not ready to cost my family, our happiness in return for any ambition. I am sacred, Manik. Sometimes I feel I am losing something and I don't want to lose my loved ones."

Her voice gets choked. Tears slip down her chubby cheeks. Her pouty lips appear more plumpy as Manik presses her cheeks.

"I promise. I won't do anything that you don't want me to do. Aryamaan and my other friends are coming just like my friends. Their jobs, works and professions are not coming with them as baggage. So, trust me. It will be a clean simple party."

Manik pauses for a moment and then adds,

"You know Nandini. You can call me a sadist because I kind of love to see the fear in your eyes for me. The fear of losing me. It proves that you can't leave me at any cost."

Manik's words and the mischievous smile on the corner of his lips make Nandini furrow her brows. She tries to part her lips to counter but Manik's dominating lips shut them up. The clock gongs midnight.

.............................................

"So, Nandini

"So, Nandini. Was it a love at first sight for you too? I mean what did you exactly feel when you first saw Manik? Please tell."

Aliya asks enthusiastically while grabbing Nandini's hands. Both are sitting on a sofa. Keeping his promise to make the party simple and small, Manik has only invited his friends, some office members, Rishav's doctor, some business partners and Ayan and Abhiroop Agnihotri. Among all of them, only Aliya and Navya are new to him. Aliya's question sprinkles hues on Nandini's cheeks. She never thought over this matter earlier. The first day, the first time she looked at Manik's eyes. Was it love at first sight? Her reverie breaks by a virile voice,

"Love at first sight? Bullshit! There is nothing like it in this world. I think the word 'love' itself is an overrated emotion. Who believes in it?"

Nandini and Aliya both turn at the person who is standing nearby holding a glass of whiskey. Nandini's face hardens.

"I believe in it. We girls believe in it. Why? Don't you think your friend Dhruv loves me, Arya? Doesn't Manik love Nandini? I heard that he can do anything for her."

Aliya's tone is stern and piqued. She knows Arya a bit but Notorious 5 now 4 has a rule. They don't let their family or other friends come between their alliances. Aryamaan gives a lopsided smile and plummets on the sofa. Nandini's every pore repulses to get up but she has promised to mask a good host. Aryamaan toasts the glass to them and says in a nonchalant manner,

"Let me prove....DHRUV!"

He suddenly calls Dhruv who were talking with some business partners. Dhruv turns at Aryamaan's call and takes permission from his companion to approach the corner where two ladies and Aryamaan are sitting. He comes with a confident stride and occupies Aryamaan's adjacent seat.

"Ahh...Arya, long time no see, Bro. Thanks to Manik. He gave us the chance to reunite again properly."

Dhruv mouths affectionately and pats Aryamaan's shoulder. His eyes fall on Aliya and Nandini. Manik has already introduced Nandini to all, however, he didn't get a chance to talk to her in person.

"Hello, Nandini. Sorry, I was busy talking to other people. Nice to meet you. Manik talked a lot about you. Today I got the privilege to see you."

Dhruv nods in appreciation while praising in a subtle way. Aliya shackles Nandini by her shoulder and cries in excitement,

"Isn't she beautiful? Manik is lucky."

Nandini turns at Aliya and gives a coy smile. She feels awkward by open admiration. Dhruv smiles and raises his glass to gesture his approval. Aryamaan clears his voice and mouths,

"Ahem...yes she is beautiful. No doubt about it. But my question is, can someone's beauty be the reason for the other person's love? Actually, Dhruv, I called you to prove something to these beautiful ladies. I think love is an overrated feeling. It happens because of many things like obstinance, money, power, obsession and of course beauty. Now, tell me one thing; why do you love Aliya?"

Aryamaan's words make everybody budge in their seats. It's a simple question but the answer is not that simple sometimes. Dhruv remains silent for a moment while Aliya keeps staring at him.

"I don't know. Maybe she suits my nature."

Dhruv eventually answers. Aliya rolls her eyes at him while Aryamaan laughs loudly. Nandini arches her brow and utters in a stern tone,

"So, you want to prove that love happens because of some gross reasons? For example, Manik loves me because I am beautiful?"

The sarcasm and bitterness in her tone are explicit which makes Aliya and Dhruv a bit uncomfortable. Aryamaan gulps the remaining liquor and retorts,

"No, he loves you because you are hard to possess and he loves challenges."

Awkward silence lingers for some moments and suddenly Nandini gets up.

"Excuse me!"

Nandini mutters in a low tone but the sourness in her voice is tangible. Without looking at anyone, she leaves the place. Aryamaan glances at her and murmurs with a triumphant smile,

"Hence proved."

Author's note: Long update. Compensation for late publish...Ha...Ha. 😂😂The party will continue with new twists, turns and shocks. Keep reading.🙏❤