What Could Have Been Different?

They've been together a while now, nearly two years. Ralsei never imagined that it would turn out this way.

But there he was.

With Kris.

Head laid across their lap, sitting under a tree near the beach in Hometown. How had he gotten this lucky? Ralsei had known from the moment he set eyes on them, that he was in love, a feeling he never even dreamt about getting to experience. To be loved back even less so.

Kris had asked him a few times before how someone like him could possibly love the self-admitted gremlin and outcast that was Kris, the only human in town. He'd always say, "How could I not?"

It made him feel good that he wasn't the only one who felt like they didn't deserve this. Though, if Kris didn't fret, Ralsei could always talk to Noelle about Susie.

Though in this moment of tranquillity, surrounded by the sound of flowing water and the rustling of trees in the wind, a question that would pop into Ralsei's mind from time to time found its way into his consciousness.

"Kris?"

"Mmhmm?" Kris mumbled, slowly stroking Ralsei's ears. It made him smile and gently laugh.

"Do... do you ever think about... about what could have been different?" He said, shifting around to look up towards Kris and the sky.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you ever think about what would have happened if you never stumbled into that closet?"

"Do you?" Kris questioned, taking one of his paws in their own.

"I do, more often than I would like."

"What do you imagine?"

"Myself. Sitting there, waiting in my castle for the heroes of legend to show up so I can take my place," Ralsei lets out a deep sigh, "But they never do, I imagine a world without Susie or Noelle, a world where the Roaring occurs and I'm helpless to stop it. A world without you, a world where you're just as helpless as I was."

"You okay?" Kris said, gently squeezing his paw.

"Yeah, I am. I love you."

Kris doesn't respond. Instead, they place their hands on Ralsei's cheeks, slowly guiding him up into a kiss, before pulling away and slowly resting his head back down. He's still just as flustered as the first time. Something Kris adored about him.

"To your answer question, no," Kris spoke.

"Hmmm?"

"I don't think about what could have been different. Why would I want to imagine a world without you?" Kris said, looking directly into his beautiful, pink eyes, "I love you too."

They quickly returned to silence, enjoying each other's company and the sounds of nature. It wasn't long before their silence was interrupted by a familiar voice.

"Kris! Ralsei!" Noelle yelled, sprinting over with Susie in tow.

"Hey dorks," Susie teased.

"Susiiie!" Noelle exclaimed, playful punching her in the arm, "Ignore her! For a little at least. We were going to go to QC's, wanted to know if you wanted to come and make it a double date?"

Kris and Ralsei looked at each other smiling. Their eye's filled with mischief.

"Yeah," they both said in unison, getting up.

"Hey, how about, uh, the last one there pays!" Kris yelled, sprinting off before they even finished their sentence. Ralsei was in on it, following close behind, lightly giggling.

"No fair you two!"