Chloe stood near the bonfire, waving at her frantically from next to a tall, burly man with unruly russet hair that hit him at his shoulders. Much like Mr. Nichols, he had on worn jeans and a flannel button-up. He eyed her curiously, a small smirk peeking out through a decently thick beard. He was somewhere in between mountain man and hipster, but Nadia couldn't make up her mind which.

Putting on a brave smile, Nadia walked over, tightly gripping the six-pack as she floundered a bit through the sand. She should have invested in hardier footwear than her Converse sneakers. Sand was already working its way into her socks.

"Gods, I'm glad you made it!" Chloe squealed before launching into what Nadia was now suspecting was her trademark bear hugs.

Another part of Nadia's brain stored Chloe's expressions into the "odd things about Fisher's Bay" file, though it was probably some new-age thing.

"Not like I have a ton of engagements to keep me busy," Nadia said wryly.

Chloe laughed as she stepped back, looking at the man next to her.

"This is Tate Smith - the town sheriff and the more annoying of my best friends," she said.

Nadia raised an eyebrow as she accepted his outstretched hand, shaking it and noting that it had the same strange warmth as Mr. Nichols. Tate didn't give off a law enforcement vibe, but she chalked it up to more strangeness of the town. His smirk grew as he looked her up and down appreciatively.

"Nice to meet you. Welcome to town," he said, his voice a low rumble that was oddly soothing.

"Stop it!" Chloe shouted, smacking him in the chest. "I don't want to scare her off!"

Tate chuckled good-naturedly as he ran his fingers through his hair and offered Nadia an apologetic smile.

"Forgive me, we don't often get new folks in town," he said, glancing around. "Might want to watch your back. The guys get a little stupid when fresh meat comes in."

Nadia gulped as she was suddenly aware again of all the eyes on her. Glancing around, she noted there were more than a few interested stares with some venturing close to predatory. Seems they took the term "fresh meat" a bit too literally.

On the other hand, Lara would love this.

"Suppose that'll be good news for my friend Lara when she comes to visit," she said, turning back to the two. "So, this is what you guys do for fun? Hang out on the beach and drink beer?"

"For the most part," Chloe replied. "It's not bad, just sometimes can get a bit old."

"Speak for yourself - I love it," Tate said, a wicked grin quickly filling his face as he winked at Nadia. "And well... there's lots more to do if you know who to ask."

"Aren't you supposed to be the sheriff?" Nadia asked with a nervous chuckle as she took a step back from him, unsure of just what kind of activities he was talking about.

She had ideas, of course, but didn't want to even fathom going down that route at the moment.

Chloe huffed and shoved him again, the man guffawing as he stumbled slightly in the sand. He put his hands up, turning his twinkling blue eyes over to Nadia as Chloe glared at him.

"Alright, alright. I'm sorry. You have to forgive me for wanting to mess with the new girl," he said.

"This isn't high school, you turd," Chloe snapped as she rolled her eyes. "Sorry about him. He's been an idiot since preschool."

"Admit it - life would be boring without me," Tate replied smoothly. "And you know you're in love with me, Kingfisher. Have been since we were kids."

"Absolutely not. Gods, how did you ever become sheriff?" Chloe shot back.