"I approve."

The door to the office opened and Konoha walked in with a tray of drinks. "I already told you, bring out the names of the three of them and Yanagi will definitely agree. No need to beat around the bush like that!" 

"I didn't know he was such a softy to them," Kuroo raised his hands in surrender.

Konoha rolled his eyes. "How could you not know? You guys are bros."

"Hey, we're not talking about private matters," Kuroo smiled as he looked at Yanagi. "We're talking about something more interesting. Right, Naoto?"

────────
WHAT IF IT'S OIKAWA AND NOT KONOHA?
────────

It's been more than a year since Sakusa entered middle school and become a member of the Ryugu Private Middle School's volleyball club, which has become the strongest in recent years. And the first thing he learned was... don't judge a book by its cover.

"Kiyo-chan, It's unusual for you to be late," The clubroom door opened, and a shrill voice filled the room. Sakusa turned to face the tall figure who become the vice-captain this year and was smiling broadly at him.  

"Tooru-san," Sakusa nodded as a greeting, watching the older teen place his sling bag in the locker and begin to change clothes.

"You're getting more handsome, aren't you, even though I'm still hotter than you," Sakusa scoffed. He paid no attention and prepared to leave right away.

Sakusa decided not to go to the gym by himself, but rather to wait for Oikawa to finish preparing before heading there. Despite having to listen to Oikawa's endless ramblings.

"Where's Moto-chan by the way?" asked Oikawa, slightly frowning at the absence of Sakusa's cousin. "His locker is not properly closed."

Very attentive to his surroundings. Despite the fact that it was only because the locker door that opened, and it only opened about an inch. Not everyone is that attentive to notice it. Also, he was busy talking and changing clothes with his back to Komori's locker.

Sakusa grunted. "He wanted to practice first before they came."

They had arrived at the spacious gym. There were already Motoya, last year's main players, and the other players who were busy preparing for the game.

"Nao-chan!!" Oikawa appeared beside Yanagi, who was busy reading the new candidates' applications. He jumped until he was piggyback hugging Yanagi. The volleyball captain remained silent. He simply corrected Oikawa's posture and placed one hand under his knee to support him. 

"Why are you late?"

"I just helped Misaki-sensei carry the workbook to her desk," he explained then straightening his right leg. "Nao-chan, look, I just hurt my leg. I inadvertently fell into the wrong position at P.E."

That explains why his pace was a little slower than usual, Sakusa thought. He was still watching Yanagi as he turned his attention to Oikawa's feet and gently massaged them.

"How's the preparation? You guys are ready, right? They'll be here in a minute," the coach said, looking at his watch and going through the players one by one.

"Yeah. We can start now."

They've arrived, and the coach is giving directions and greeting them. Oikawa greeted the first years as usual with a big smile and a hand that didn't stop waving at them. Sakusa remembered that when he was greeted like that a year ago, his first reaction was to furrow his brow and try to avert his gaze. He felt both embarrassed and grossed.

And that is the first trap. Sakusa was sure that almost everyone fell into it.

Several selections have been passed, and Sakusa has already marked some of the talented first year and the one he has blacklisted.

"Yahoo~ Oikawa Tooru. I'm the main setter here," He smiled as he always did. "I'll be the one who's going to give you some tosses for your spiking test. Please don't be shy to tell me your best preference."

"Please take care of me."

"So, how's the selection so far? Is there something―"

"Tch, hurry up! I don't have time for your rotten small talk! Give me the toss, quick!!"

One of them snapped. Glaring sharply at Oikawa. Everyone fell silent for a moment. No one would have expected that there was such an impolite and daring underclassman.

Sakusa and Komori exchanged glances, then looked at Yanagi, who was still silent, before coming to a halt at Oikawa.

"Oh no."

"My my, so impatient," Oikawa maintained his cheerful demeanor. But his smile was cold, and his eyes seemed to sparkle with malice. Everyone trembled as no one reacted. Except for the arrogant man (and Yanagi of course), who was slightly shaken but still glared angrily at Oikawa.

"Fine. Get into position," he said, motioning to the teen. "and I'll give you the best toss you've ever had."

There he is. Oikawa's side that even Sakusa didn't dare to mess with or underestimate. The brown-haired teen has an annoying personality, like any other playboy with a large fan base (though Yanagi has more than him). But he never messed around when it came to things about volleyball.

He's smart, more of a cunning actually. He is quick to recognize things, understand people's flaws, and his strategy is so clever. But the fact that he was the manipulator behind that smile made Sakusa not want to underestimate him the most. 

Especially with Oikawa who became Yanagi's partner. They are the perfect combination and both of them are manipulators. Yanagi, with his way of luring others into his plan, and Oikawa, with his beautiful but deadly smile. Powerful, all-rounder, and strategist. The power and the brain. The ace and the setter.

No one would be able to beat them if they were combined.