t w e n t y - t w o

Start from the beginning

Like a child, the woman shuffled out of the bed that could fit three of her in, her feet thumping softly against the carpet as she turned back towards her professor.

"When we get back, do you think you could help me build a CV? I haven't been able to get a job in the past due to my address, but mayb—"

"Of course. Mi casa es su casa, as they say." Cheryl cut her short before she could finish, she wanted to make Toni feel as welcome as possible. She hoped one day, the pink haired woman wouldn't feel the need to ever ask. "I'll leave you to get ready."

With that Cheryl was on her feet, heading out of the bedroom shooting a smile towards the other woman before she vanished out of view.

[x]

It took half an hour before the pair were clambering into Cheryl's car. One suitcase between them, and a smile plastered across their faces. It was safe to say the two were desperate to escape their town for a little while. Cheryl had also chosen the perfect time to head out, knowing it was seven in the morning and the roads would be clear, saving the fear of someone spotting the two.

The chatter between the two began on basic topics - the student attempting to figure out how long they'd be driving, where exactly they were going and what they were going to do whilst they were away - whilst Cheryl kept her replies short, wanting it to remain a mystery. Toni was just happy that it didn't just seem like a professor/student relationship between them anymore. They were on the borderline of friends, that fact poured a sense of happiness into her heart.

As the car pulled to a halt at a traffic light, the redhead's eyes travelled over her students. The brunette had chosen the outfit almost matching hers, a white short sleeved crop top, a pair of denim ripped shorts and a pair of the latest converse.

"How's the arm? Did you manage not to sleep on it?"

"Oh," Toni responded in surprise, she hadn't really thought about her injury, her mind being elsewhere. Her chocolate orbs glanced down at it, "Uh, yeah I guess so. I mean, it hurt when I woke this morning but I don't recall waking to pain any time during the night. Honestly, it sounds weird but I kind of forgot about it."

"You sound like you slept better than I did."

Brown eyes trailed back to the road as the lights switched from amber to green. The soft hum of Cheryl's car faint in the background of the car radio. Toni turned her head to look towards the older woman, an eyebrow raised in question.

"You didn't sleep well?" It seemed like a rather stupid question to ask considering what her professor has just said. But she couldn't help but want further explanation as to what was troubling the redhead.

"I don't get much sleep most nights, but I think I overthink too much - hell, I thought at one point that you were going to go into shock and die in your sleep." Cheryl announced releasing a nervous exhale, her face tinting red at how foolish she sounded. "It's stupid."

"You're not stupid for worrying about someone. I'm not entirely sure why I wasn't concerned about something like that happening, Sweets doesn't exactly have the most hygienic trailer." The brunette admitted, watching as they started towards a road enveloped within nature. "I guess I try to keep my mind on other things."

"Worrying doesn't do anyone any good, so be glad it's not a trait you've developed." The woman momentarily took her eyes off of the gravelled road, her attention fixated on the way the sun hit Toni's golden skin so flawlessly. "Can you guess where we are?"

Toni wanted to make a remark about how she'd have no idea where they were even with a GPS system, but instead she decided to enjoy the game.

"Let's see, we've been driving for what feels like two hours, my guess would be close to Vermont?"