t w e n t y - t w o

Toni began to stir at the sound of a soft knocking against her door, a prolonged groan erupting from the back of her throat. She had no idea what time it was, but waking up was always the hardest part of her day. That was until a dulcet voice chimed up, passing perfectly through the door.

"Come on, Toni. I've been knocking for the past ten minutes, there's no way you're still asleep."

A small smile twitched at the corners of her lips, hauling her body upright to stretch her limbs. As comfortable as the mattress beneath her was, the brunette still felt the need to pop her bones the second she woke. Nothing felt better than a good morning stretch.

"With all your racket? It's like trying to sleep through a festival." The brunette called back in a teasing tone, she could practically feel Cheryl rolling her eyes behind the door. "What time is it?"

"Time you get a move on, we need to hit the road in an hour, can I come in?" The question sent the brunette quickly combing her fingers over her hair, altering the pyjama set Cheryl had handed her the night before. "I prefer not shouting through a door at half six in the morning."

"It's your apartment, you don't need to ask permission, you weirdo." The brunette vocalised, the response causing the handle of her bedroom door to twist, revealing the ginger behind it.

It killed Toni how her professor managed to capture her attention the second she'd step into the room; she'd never met anyone who had such an effect on her. Cheryl was somehow already dressed, a pair of distressed blue jeans accompanied by a white v-neck and a loose beige trench coat clinging every so perfectly to her body. The top just revealing enough to send Toni's eyes glancing south in lust. Cheryl's usual glossy red locks now pulled into a messy bun on top of her head. She looked perfect.

"How do you manage to look so stylish? I'm just going to look like a mess beside you." The brunette said, her own insecurities setting in. She'd never fancied herself a well dressed female, always wearing the same few items of clothing. Hardly ever putting in much effort.

"Oh shove off, you'll look perfectly fine. I got someone to pick you up some clothes yesterday, the majority are in the suitcase I packed last night," Cheryl informed her student, knowing Toni wouldn't have been prepared in the slightest for a holiday. "But there's an outfit or two I've left out for you hung on the door of the living room. You can wear one of those."

A furious blush danced across the younger womans cheeks, her brown eyes averting to the duvet she was toying nervously with, "Cheryl, I really wish I could repay you, I feel like such a burden relying on you for everything."

A soft expression washed over the redhead, she could see Toni's cogs turning in her mind thinking of other ways to repay her. But that wasn't her endgame in this, she didn't expect anything in return. It was reward enough knowing that Toni was in a safe, secure home, not tucked hidden away living off of scraps in a factory again. The brunette deserved to be treated like she was a priority, and Cheryl was prepared to be the one to do that.

Toni's gaze lifted, following her professor as she came to sit just short of where she was currently sat. The student swallowed a lump in her throat as Cheryl extended a hand, resting it upon the hands that were fiddling with the bedsheet.

"I don't want you to repay me, Toni. You're most certainly not a burden, and I've got a feeling that this term break is exactly what the both of us need." The brown eyed woman reassured her, a gentle smile across her plump red lips. "Anyway, I've been looking for an excuse to take a vacation out of Riverdale. I just so happen to be bringing you along."

A small laugh escaped Toni, "Ah, so I'm an excuse now?"

"I guess you could say that," Cheryl chuckled happily along, watching as Toni's worries dissipated. "But seriously, you're incredibly slow for a twenty year old - go and shower and we can grab breakfast on the road."