t w e l v e

Giving herself a moment to shake the sleep from her brain, Toni winced, the greeting of sunlight breaking through the cracks between Cheryl's blinds. For just a millisecond, she'd forgotten where she was, but the harsh ache in her neck reminded her she was on her professors couch. With a low, tired groan she forced herself into an upright position.

The night's events replayed in her mind; the sound of a faint crash coming from Cheryl's room had her rushing in without a thought, only to find the ginger had fallen whilst struggling to undress. Toni could still feel the burn of her cheeks when she found Cheryl in a stunning red lace bra. In the moment, Cheryl just found it amusing, giggling at herself as she attempted to change before giving up and asking for Toni's assistance. Something that Toni knew would be seared in the back of her mind on lonely nights.

It was only half ten, her class didn't begin for another two hours and Toni was tempted to lie back down and sleep. But the click of a pin in the front door kept her from returning to her slumber. She could hear Cheryl's quiet snores from her room just a few metres away, so she knew it wasn't her which only left one other person who'd have keys to the apartment.

It was the light tapping of footsteps that soon stopped as they met the edge of the living room. Toni knew she was the first thing Heather noticed, the icy glare could practically freeze the entire room.

"I see Cheryl brought in the trash last night." Heather began, and the brunette rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Let's hope she didn't contract your diseases. You never know what you people pick up anymore."

"We didn't have sex. You'd think your microscopic brain would pick up on that, I guess not." Toni retorted, not bothering to give the devious woman what she wanted. Another pointless spat.

Toni could feel the heavy stare on her as she neatly folded the blanket Cheryl had told her to take, piling it perfectly on top of the pillow. The brunette wished she knew where the closet was, not wanting to spend another second in the grey eyed girls company. But unfortunately, Cheryl was sleeping which meant asking Heather.

"Where do I put these?"

Heather kept a stoney face, but came forward scooping the bedding into her arms and waltzing down a hall the pink haired girl hadn't noticed yet. It took a few minutes before Heather returned, seemingly acting as though Toni had already left. A choice that the brunette was thankful for. As the clock struck eleven, the sound of a moan echoed around the apartment. The noise captured the pair's attention, eyes falling on Cheryl's bedroom where the redhead emerged.

The awkward tension was unmissable and when the grogginess wore off, and the redheads' dark eyes panned to the two women in her living room. Toni noted the way Cheryl appeared to still, the coggs in her brain trying to process what was happening. Then finally, she sighed breaking the silence between them all.

"What are you doing here, Heather?"

Heather's eyebrows furrowed into a frown at the question. "I live here, Cheryl. What else would I be doing here?"

"No. I live here Heather. You just come and go whenever you please." Cheryl told her sternly, making her way towards an archway that Toni assumed led to the kitchen. "I'm putting a stop to that now."

Heather seemed to splutter out a scoff, seemingly surprised at the words Cheryl spoke. It was easy to see that the brunette was willing to argue with Cheryl on the subject, the way her hands dropped to her sides and her fists clenched.

"So you're kicking me out now?"

Toni shifted awkwardly on the couch, feeling like she was at a friends house and their parents were arguing. She heard Cheryl reply with a collected voice,