Chapter 2: Running Scared

Start from the beginning

My dad dialed her again and it was obvious she had answered as he instantly started scolding her, telling her what had happened.

After yelling at her outside, he walked in and the doctor came to see us.

"What's going on?" I asked, anxiously.

"He's in stable condition and the wound though deep, did not hit any major organs nor did it hit any arteries. He's going to be fine."

"But he was bleeding profusely. I'm drenched in his blood" I said.

"The stab wound punctured a lot of the smaller veins and blood vessels located in that area and that's why he was bleeding so badly but he's okay. He's out of the woods and once he wakes up you can take him home. But I do have some concerns."

"What do you mean?" asked Louai.

"We took some x-rays and he has a sprain on his left wrist but there's evidence that he has suffered multiple fractures on that wrist, as well as his right arm. These are the classic signs of domestic abuse."

All of us looked at one another and realized we had to say something.

"His brother did this to him!" I finally said. "He's a drug addict and alcoholic, and is extremely violent."

Then an African-American girl ran in, with Holly.

"Khaled" Holly ran to us. "What happened?"

"Santi stabbed him" I cried.

"Is he okay?" she asked, crying.

"Yes" said the doctor. "He's out of the woods but because this was an assault that could have led to murder, I have to report it to the authorities."

"No, Santi has gone too far" said the other girl.

"Francie, calm down" said Holly. "He's going to be okay. He's strong and he will fight through this like he has everything else."

It was obvious that Francie cared a great deal about him and it made me wonder what her relation to him was. Taline still missed Omar and never stopped asking about him, and though she had attempted to move on, she simply could not.

Even though Omar never responded to her Instagram or Facebook messages, or emails for that matter.

I stepped outside for air as my heart was beating a little too fast. Holly ran out with me as I cried my eyes out.

"Khaled, he's going to be okay."

"I know but this should not have happened to him. Not him."

"I know and I am angry too but you have to remain strong, for him because after this he's going to need you."

"I will be there for him. I won't abandon him as his own mom and brother have."

"Good, now use that anger to help him. Don't let it consume you because if you let it, you won't be able to help him."

She hugged me, and allowed me to cry on her shoulder.

"It's going to be okay. But I think you have to take him back to Lebanon because he's not safe here. Not with Santi being this violent."

"I agree. I'm taking him with me and I'm going to make sure he's safe."

"I know you will..." she suddenly trailed off and we both saw his mom.

We walked in and his mom was concerned but was claiming that she doubted Santi did this.