14 ~ Lying In The Cold

Start from the beginning

"Okay.. new angle—we take the Owl Lady's kid." The Golden Guard whispered.

(Y/n) nodded, quickly grabbing Hunter's hand and running away from the Owl Lady's disturbing owl tube.

"C'mon, we can talk for hours and hours and hours- hey where're you going?" He twisted and turned in unnatural ways.

(Y/n) swiftly climbed on to the staff behind the Golden Guard and wrapped her arms around his waist. They left the house promptly, not wanting to be near that thing... it was very disturbing and unsettling.

They found the Owl Lady and her kid getting ready to leave Bonesborough. The pair got onto the Owl Lady's staff and they began to fly.

The two hands of The Emperor followed them at a distance. They seemed to be heading to the knee.

Once at the knee, The Golden Guard landed behind the Owl Lady.  The Owl Lady took two coats out of her bushy hair and handed one to the kid.

"The knee!" The Owl Lady said.

The girl threw her arms in the air yelling, "Yessss!" Her voice echoed.

(Y/n) and Hunter followed them to a small clearing.
"Here's where we'll set up shop." The Owl Lady said.

"I'll definitely learn my second spell here!" The girl cheered, twirling around.

She was promptly shot at by a pink fireball which she barely dodged thanks to the Owl Lady tackling her out of the way.

"Sorry! Whoever's over there!" A familiar voice shouted.

It was Amity. She was with two other witches. They both had green hair, must be her siblings.

"Amity?" (Y/n) quietly asked herself.

Amity wandered away from the group. (Y/n) attempted to follow but was stopped by her partner grabbing her shoulder.

"Where're you going? The Owl Lady's kid is right there, we can just grab her."

"Are you stupid or something?" (Y/n) asked, making Hunter clench his fists and frown behind his mask. "There are three other people there. We'd be harshly outnumbered. Not to mention, one of those three people is the most powerful witch on the Boiling Isles??"

Hunter grumbled before letting go of her shoulder. (Y/n) jogged over to Amity who was practicing spells with a training wand.

Wow, she's still using a training wand? With how powerful she was during our duel, I figured she stopped using her training wand years ago!

"Amity!" (Y/n) called out.

She jumped up, startled. "Wha- who- who are you?" She demanded, holding up her wand in defense.

The Silver Scout brought her hand up and took her mask off, revealing her identity.

"(Y/n)?!" Amity exclaimed, taken aback.
It seemed as though something in her mind clicked as she reaffirmed her statement, this time with bitterness in her tone, "(Y/n)." She sneered.

"Hey, what're you doing here?" (Y/n) asked with a friendly smile.

"Training so that I can get into the Emperor's coven." She said sourly. "But wait.. you look different from a regular coven scout. What are you?"

"I'm the si-" (Y/n) was cut off my a red beam surrounding her and lifting her from the ground. "Oh- I guess that's my queue to leave. Byee~!" She waved at the confused girl.

The beam snatched her from the conversation with Amity and brought her to her partner who held his glowing red staff. He glared at her through his mask.

"What do you think you're doing?! Are you crazy?!" He exclaimed, grabbing (Y/n)'s hand and forcing her to put her mask back on.

"What?!" She yelled back, matching his tone.

He abruptly dropped her and his staff stopped glowing.

"Okay. I'm seriously starting to think you liked being turned to stone! Don't you remember?! Don't take off your mask!" He yelled frantically. Luckily they were far from everybody.

"Oh yes~ turn me to stone- Shut the fuck up! I'm not that weird. Besides, it's fine, I knew her before I joined the coven. She already knows what I look like."

Hunter grumbled before dragging her away.

"Where are we going now? Is the human isolated?" She asked as he pulled her arm away.

"No. We're aborting the mission for now. It doesn't seem like the human is going to leave those guys' sides anytime soon. Let's take a break for an hour and see if she's isolated."

"Ah, finally thinking things through~" (Y/n) teased. Hunter blushed bashfully under his mask before grunting in annoyance.

"Working with you is going to be unbearable."

"Hm, okay Mr. You're my only friend."

"Just because you're my friend doesn't mean I tolerate you."

"No, that's literally what friend means."

"Okay, well, I don't have a lot of those."

"That's sad, man."

"Yeah? Well-" He was cut off mid sentence,

"Ah, I thought I heard a familiar annoying voice!" A voice exclaimed. "What're you doing here, Coven Dweebs?" It was The Owl Lady.

"Uh... Vacationing?" (Y/n) lied with a shrug. 

"Uh huh. Well, hey! Silvy Scoot, wanna see something funny?"

"Uh-"

"Sleep spell!" The Owl Lady exclaimed in a singsong voice as she drew a large yellow circle, casting the spell upon The Golden Guard.

Hunter fell to his knees and collapsed to lay in the snow.

"Goldie!" (Y/n) exclaimed, running over to her partner.

The Owl Lady ran away laughing, leaving the pair alone.

(Y/n) took off her partner's mask and attached it to her belt. She did the same with her mask.

The poor boy was battling for his life to stay awake.

"Damn, that is one good sleep spell." He mumbled, his eyelids fluttering.

"So does this mean you can't fly us home?"

He shook his head.

"Hm. Uh. Oh! I can-" (Y/n) drew a large orange circle, Ruth flew out of it. "Hey, you mind if I carry you?"

"If you can pick me up-"

"Aaand, scoop!"

Hunter's face grew red. He'd never felt so vulnerable. If (Y/n) wanted to, she could kill him right now and he'd be powerless to stop her. But nevertheless, he felt safe with her.

"Oh, wow. Snow." He could barely speak. He hated how she could just turn his brain off. How she could just make him drop his guard so easily.

She carried him onto the peryton and laid his head in her lap.

"I- um." Hunter stuttered as he sat up, awkwardly.

"Just take a nap. I'll get us home safely, okay?" She said, laying his head back into her lap.

He sighed and closed his eyes, putting his full trust into his partner.