11- The Memory Orb

Start from the beginning

"Master Solon," He corrects himself as he clears his throat. He doesn't make eye contact with me, settling on the scar on my neck. "I'm relieved to see you better than that unfortunate day." He carefully places the orb in my hand and walks away.

My eyes track him. Wouldn't a normal savior want to know more about the damsel in distress they rescued? Well... who am I to know what normal social expectations are? I look away from him and turn to Francis who has a smug look in his face. I narrow my eyes and choose to ignore the weird face of his.

"Francis," I scratch my neck and lower my voice to a whisper. "What have you found out?"

"Well," Francis drops his voice to a whisper, coming to speak in my ear. "Last I heard he crossed the Bulnaran border."

"Bulnaran?" I question, not knowing why Milo is there or who he's looking for. If I remember correctly, Catherina didn't come from there, so why is he there? Who is the 'her' he's looking for? Why won't he return?

"I can send some men to go after him, but when crossing a border my prices increase a-"

"Money isn't an issue. Please bring him back quickly no matter what. Even if they have to tie him down... I need to speak to him." I urge. Francis nods and looks over my shoulder.

"Have you researched for my friend? I'm rather worried."

"I'll need to research the memory orb. This is old, old, old ancient magic. It's going to take some time, but I'm the best." I smile, not sure if it looks confident or not.

I make my way to my center table as the knight takes a seat around the round table. I carefully put my crystal globe away and transfer the clear orbs so that the memory orb is placed in a way that I can access its memories. I then look at Sir Pine, staring him down until he awkwardly looks at me. 

"So... how did you manage to get the money for a memory orb and make it across the northern border and back all within a week? How much money do you have?" I ask, trying to guess who he truly is. "Take off both gloves and let me see your hands."

Sir Pine does what I instruct him and his hands are now free save for the enchanted bracelet. "I don't have much, but the Duke said he will cover the costs as long as I live."

I hum, nodding my head. It does make sense for the Duke to pay for the curse he forced Sir Pine onto. I take his hand and examine it. So far, it hasn't gotten bigger and it's roughly the same shape.

I take the other hand when Francis comes behind me. "Have you ever met the Duke?"

"No." I turn his palm over and I'm relieved to see his usual, normal skin color. The curse has not yet progressed.

"I'm sure Sir Pine can say what he wants about the ever secretive Duke. I hear he's in the Capital and has gained attention amongst a certain... female population. You're female- " Francis asks, voice humorous.

I let go of the knight's hand and cross my arms when I face Francis, effectively cutting him off with a glare. "I just said I've never met him, so how can I fancy him? Besides I don't care to know about him." I shrug my shoulders and squeeze between the men to sit on the chair to look at the orb.

I touch it and a memory pops up like a live painting that shows information in real time. I study it, taking out paper and quill I have around. I narrow my eyes, reaching into the orb and moving the memory around as much as I can to see exactly where this cave is. 

"Why do you not want to know him? I hear he's attractive... underneath that scar of course." Francis sighs. I pause and roll my eyes, getting annoyed that my job and focus is being interrupted.