Part 3 - Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

"Shut up." I slap his shoulder and he chuckles.

I inhale deeply and turn on my heels. I head straight to Mikey's office. I knock on the door and wait to hear him say "Come in" before opening the door and stepping in.

He's sitting in a cushioned chair behind his oak desk. He's leaning his head back with his eyes closed.

"Mikey?" 

Upon hearing my voice, he pries his eyes open and looks at me.

"Hey," He greets me as I close the door behind me and lean my back against it.

My pulse is racing.

"Everything alright?" He asks me, surveying my face.

No, everything is not alright, I want to answer but instead, I force a small smile and go to stand in front of his desk.

"You told me we needed to talk this morning."

"Yeah."

"Well, I have something to tell you too."

His eyebrows slightly rise.

"Do you want to go first?" He offers and I swallow, nodding. "Okay."

I sink down into the armchair in front of his desk. I cross my legs. Uncross them. Shift position. I fold my arms across my chest. Unfold them. Shift position again.

All the while, Mikey watches me, waiting patiently. He leans back and rests his elbow against the armrest, his eyes not leaving me.

Come on, just say it, Y/N, just say it, I mentally encourage myself. I take a deep breath and look into Mikey's eyes as I open my mouth. 

"I'm p—"

The door flings open. My head and Mikey's snap to Rindou who has just stormed in. 

My gaze is rooted to what he is holding in his hands. 

A positive pregnancy test. My positive pregnancy test. The one I threw in the trash this morning.

Rindou is breathing hard, his hand still on the doorknob.

"You're pregnant?" He pants.

I rise to my feet. "Rindou, wait—"

"You are?" He asks, his face breaking into a wide grin.

He walks toward me but I lift a hand to stop him from hugging me. He lurches back as if I've just physically hurt him.

"Y/N?" He whispers my name, his eyes searching mine frantically, and my heart sinks.

Avoiding Rindou's gaze, I turn to Mikey and blurt out, "Rindou and I are dating."

And there is it. Out in the open.

I don't give Mikey enough time to react and I continue, "We've been dating for a few weeks now. And yes," my hands curl at my sides as I draw in a deep breath, briefly closing my eyes. "I'm pregnant," I admit. I risk a glance up and rest my gaze on Mikey as I add in a whisper, "5 weeks pregnant."

Understanding awakens in his eyes.

I look back at Rindou.

"Rin."

His gaze slides from Mikey to me.

"The day before my birthday, Mikey and I had sex."

His eyes go wide.

"But it only happened once," I quickly say. I shoot Mikey a look before looking back at Rindou and forcing myself to add, "And it was a mistake."

"But your birthday..." Confusion and torment wash over Rindou's features. "It was five weeks ago."

"Yes," –My voice cracks – "it was." 

Rindou stands frozen, his eyes staring straight ahead like his soul has just left his body.

The sting in my eyes becomes unbearable. My throat squeezes shut.

Rindou's gaze shifts between Mikey and I one last time. Then, he storms out of Mikey's office and strides down the hallway.

"Rindou, wait," I choke out.

My eyes briefly cut to Mikey's before I run out of his office. I chase after Rindou but Ran dives down to catch me as I run past him in the hallway. He holds me against my will while I struggle to get out of his grip.

"Rin!" I scream but Rindou doesn't turn around.

Tears blur my vision as I watch him disappear down the stairs.

"It's okay," Ran tells me.

No, it's not okay ! How could it ever be okay again? I want to scream but nothing comes out when I open my mouth.

And finally, I give up. My body goes limp in Ran's arms and Ran carries me to the living room where he lowers himself onto the sofa. He folds me into his lap and tucks my head into his neck. I sob uncontrollably while he runs a soothing hand down my back.

"Trust me, love, I know my brother best. You just need to give him some time to process," Ran whispers in my hair, "Just a little bit of time, okay?"

------------------------------------

The next morning, Mikey and I drive to the hospital for a paternity test. DNA was be collected from me by a blood draw and from Mikey with a cheek swab. It was going to take a few hours to get the results, the nurse informed us before leading us to a small waiting room.

Mikey and I don't say a word. We simply sit next to each other, our arms touching.

I can only hear my heart beating with him next to me.

The minutes stretch and stretch. I look over at him and break the silence quietly, shyly, with my confession.

"I lied yesterday."

Mikey turns his head to me. He blinks slowly.

"About what?" He asks.

"What we did that night before my birthday," I wave a hand between us, "I mean, us, together." I pause, looking into his eyes. "I lied. I don't think it was a mistake."

I reach a hand to take his. His eyes move down to our intertwined hands and our interlocked fingers when I say, "I love you, Mikey. I never stopped loving you. But I'm in love with Rindou and I want to be with him. And if you want me to stay by your side, you're going to have to accept that."

His chest rises and falls a little bit harder as he looks back up at me.

His breathing staggers but he nods slowly and looks ahead of him and so do I.

Suddenly, I freeze in my seat.

Before even hearing his footsteps or seeing his face, my spine tingles with a violent awareness of his presence. 

Rindou is here. 

A few seconds later, he walks into the waiting room. 

I haven't seen him since yesterday. He didn't spend the night home.

He pauses as his eyes settle on Mikey and I. His gaze travels to our joined hands and his jaw flexes.

In that moment, I'm sure he is going to turn on his heels and walk off.

But he doesn't.

He walks over to us and sits down on the other side of me. Without a word, he reaches and takes my free hand. He gives it a squeeze. Strokes the back of it with his thumb.

And finally, I breathe normally again.

Just a few more hours and we'll get the results.

AN : if I were you, I'd buckle up because the next chapter is going to be ... intense.