Chapter 14: The loss

Start from the beginning

"Your highness!" Wen Ning looked at me in shock.

I only cried like this once before. When my third daughter died. But it wasn't even as bad as this time. Because I knew from the doctors that my daughter hadn't much time left. I knew that and slowly, very slowly accepted the fact. Of course, I was never able to fully accept it. No parents could but at least her death didn't hit me unexpectedly.

Lan Huan cheating on me was unexpected. It was shocking and it broke something in me.

Wen Ning closed his lips and nodded. He never went against me. He always did what I told him to, even if it was just a plea and not an order.

"Wen Ning..." I called him. "Will you betray me in the future too?" I asked him and his answer came immediately.

"NO! You are my life saver, my master, my friend, and my family. I won't ever betray you!"

"Then..." I closed my eyes because what I was about to ask him was unfair and cruel. "If I ask you to choose between me and your sister. If you can only be loyal to one of us... whom will you choose?"

He closed his eyes and a tear fell down his cheeks.

"You, your highness!" He looked at me with all his honesty and his Aura brightened up a little bit. He then bowed to me. "I will stay loyal to your highness! My sister already betrayed me when she- I love my sister, she is my family too but she is in the wrong! She shouldn't have done that no matter what! I will choose you, your highness! I will never betray you!"

I got up real quick and walked into the bathroom. "I want to be alone. Don't let anyone in!"

"Yes, your highness....."

The moment the door closed I broke down and cried in silence. I held my chest and tried to breathe normally which was impossible. I didn't want anyone to hear me, not even Wen Ning.

'It hurts!' I shut my eyes close. 'It hurts so much!'

Why couldn't they wait? Why did they have to hurry things!? Couldn't they wait until I was gone!? Did no one care for my feelings!?

'Lan Huan! How could you do this? You said you loved me! Why!? Why did you lie to me!? Why did you cheat on me!? You said you would never!!'

I tried to calm down but it wouldn't work. Everything hurts

'What should I do now? What am I supposed to do?' I asked myself.

Should I confront Lan Huan? But I was scared! I didn't want him to know I knew. I didn't want others to know that I knew Lan Huan was cheating on-

'They knew!' I realized. 'They must have known!' Everyone, or at least most of them knew that Lan Huan was with Wen Qing. They knew the whole time and I- I was clueless. I bet they were laughing at my blindness, my cluelessness, and my stupidity.

I wanted to run away but I couldn't. I had nowhere to go. I gave up the mortal ream when I decided to marry Lan Huan. I thought that was the right choice back then. I loved him so much and yet he-

I couldn't go back there....I had nothing left. I couldn't stay with my oldest daughter either because she was about to marry. And I couldn't leave my other daughters alone in the immortal realm. If Lan Huan had an heir... he would forget about them, wouldn't he? For the sake of an heir, he even betrayed me. He wanted a son so bad....