Chapter 10 - Checkmate!

AN:  so guys, this is more about company stuff than our main protagonists. Please bear with me. Also, if you see any grammatical and spelling mistakes, that's on me. I can't focus today because my eyes hurt. I am squinting right now, typing this AN just so my eyes could focus on the screen. (this update has been written months ago, actually) Hahahahaha. It's my own fault I am like this. Too much reading. I have a surpise for you guys in chapter 15. hehehehe, stay tuned. ( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.....

--_--

"—and that's it for the quarterly reports. I know that the profits hadn't been great but I am sure that we would gain back our losses after some time. We have new accounts coming in still, and I—"

"Okay, cut the—excuse my language—bullshit Kannika. There was an eighteen percent fall in our stocks. Eighteen! That's really something already, you know that?" exclaimed one of the board members.

All thirteen members of the Board were present for the quarterly meeting and after Kannika had presented the numbers, someone made their displeasure known. She and her husband had expected this to happen earlier, to be honest.

Finally, she thought with an internal smirk.

She turned to look coldly at Khun Siriwat Chaisongkhram, who looked at her smugly. Beside him sat Dax Davide Sisom, that infuriating, barely-there smile mocking the couple. But she wasn't called the lioness for no reason at all. She observed her prey, letting him—no, them—run their mouths, before she would decide to pounce.

"You are running this company to the ground, both of you! See what happened here? Hey everyone, you've seen the reports, right? That kind of drop is already a big deal! It's scary, isn't it? Kerkklai, Kannika, tell me this. How could you keep this from happening in the future, hmm? Because this might happen again. I mean, in the past, sure, there were fluctuations in the stocks, but it had never, ever reached an all-time low like this."

"I agree with Khun Wat here, Khun. I am the newest board member and I am not actually a founding member. I decided to invest in this company because of its seemingly unshakeable foundation. But lately, it's been unstable, the stocks are fluctuating and you keep losing big projects. Like, what's going on, right?" Dax said, feigning a very unrealistic concerned expression.

He looked at each and everyone in the room, who all looked at him with either blank expression or slight mistrust. Kerkklai noted the other two who could barely contain their smiles, and the rest's expressions.

"You know what? It's time to have a change in management, don't you think?" he finished, not bothering to cover up his smirk. Siriwat and Phawin had smiles on their faces.

The couple didn't give any outward indication that they were affected by this and it pissed the young man a little bit. They just remained stoic and unphased, but the uncertain looks that the other board members shared reassured him.

"Khun? What do all of you say?" he addressed the room in general.

"I-I mean—I think you make a compelling point..." Aom, a lady in her fifties, said. She was one of the original investors in the company.

"And who should we pass the CEO position to, then?" asked Sayuri skeptically. Kerkklai noted this mentally.

"I'm not talking about the CEO position, Khun Kongkaew..."

Gasps became audible among the members of the board, and the couple observed them. Five persons were on their side, it seemed. While three of the rest were visibly uncomfortable, the other two sitting beside the young entrepreneur were visibly smug then.