Chapter 26: Gifts for Tomorrow

Start from the beginning

"In your case, since you are the Legionnaire, it's different. Actually, there was an equal chance that your belly would have already manifested the first signals and it would have meant that you were going to give birth to a regular Human, but this shell you see in the picture is the zygote that is slowly absorbing the genetic enhancements, as Darvos' normal sperm needed time to adapt.

"Therefore, you're basically living like an ovoviviparous animal, hosting an 'egg' in your womb until the end of the third month, when it will turn directly into a fetus and grow quite rapidly, but the pregnancy will last your usual 9 months."

"And I suppose my biology also implies that I don't feel the other symptoms like dizziness, nausea..."

"Correct. Neither I could notice it without the appropriate medical tools."

Silence followed as Jaral leaned on the bed, smirking and then openly smiling, unable to think of anything else but the joy that the news brought to her.

"Hey, how are you going to tell..." Ahsoka started, but then the door hissed open, and Darvos walked in with a certain urgency.

"Everything ok? People saw you rush here." he asked worried.

The two women looked at each other. Ahsoka grinned and started to back off. "I'll give you two some time." and left the room, closing the door behind her.

Darvos was still a bit worried and looked at his wife, but all he saw was her incredibly happy face. Then she nodded her head downward, inviting him to lower the gaze. He thus saw her gently stroking her belly and his gaze also fell on the schematics Jinx was still projecting.

After a moment to realize, Darvos' eyes and mouth widened. "You..." he said, pointing a finger but too thrilled to elaborate further.

Jaral nodded more than once with a smile and his head started spinning as he chuckled. It didn't take long for him to reach the same conclusions of Jaral about the duration of the pregnancy, though, so Jaral and Jinx had to explain it to him as well.

Still, after hearing everything, the two humans embraced. Words couldn't describe how perfect all of this was for them. They were already in a good mood because of the recent victory, but this news was just the icing on the cake.

 They were already in a good mood because of the recent victory, but this news was just the icing on the cake

"It all seems too good to be true." Darvos joked when they undid the embrace.

"I know, right?" Jaral replied in tone and the two chuckled again.

Darvos then seemed to become a bit pensive and looked downward for a few seconds.

"What is it?" Jaral asked.

He finally lifted his head again and looked at her in the eyes with a more serious expression. "I know you won't like it, but I need to ask you to go back to Lothal." he clearly demanded.

Jaral was taken aback for a moment, but then she noticed that this was indeed an issue. She reflected on it for a while and eventually she decided that it was better to listen to him.