Chapter 12

WARNING: MINOR DEPRESSION AHEAD, MAY TRIGGER A REACTION.

Thomas sat on his bed in the middle of his room, rethinking what had happened before he left Newt's house. He couldn't help the wave of guilt that was he over him.

"Oh shit, what did I do? I've gotta go apologize to him..." Thomas said, pushing himself off the bed.

He practically ran out of his house, needing to see Newt as soon as possible. He called him on the way. It went to voice mail.

"Dammit!" He didn't bother leaving a message, just zoomed down the street in the direction of Newt's place.

He parked sloppily, and quickly opened his car door, not caring how hard he slammed it. He raced up the stairs, pounding his fist on Newt's door. "Newt! Open up, I really need to talk to you!"

Silence was his only response, and unfortunately, Tommy didn't have any patience.

He kicked the door open, revealing an empty living room. He checked all over the house, not finding Newt. His worry overcame him.

The last room left was the bathroom, which was open. He wished he hadn't checked the bathroom at that moment.

"Newt?" His voice was barley above a whisper, but grew louder quick.

"Newt? Newt! What did you do, you shuck?! Oh my god, Newt..." He launched forward with sobs, gripping the boys shoulders. This was all his fault.

"What - did I - do?" Thomas murmured between sobs. He laid his forehead on Newt's lifeless chest, and screamed out in agony. His eyes shot open and his throat went dry when he felt a slight raise from the body beneath him.

"Newt?!" he was screaming the boys name over and over, but didn't get a response. He reached for the phone in his pockets, dialing 911.

"Hello, this is the police department, how may I help you?" came a calm voice. "My boyfriend - attempted suicide - get down here - as soon - as you can pl - please..." Thomas said, trying to sound as relaxed as possible, but he was shaking with sobs.

"Okay, sir, can you take a deep breath for me and tell me the address?" the voice said again. Thomas gave the person the address, and they told him they would be down there as soon as they could. When the line went dead, Thomas sank back against the wall, and slowly slid down it.

"Please, Newt... please be okay..." he reached the boys motionless hand, and held it tight. "I need you, please don't go..." Thomas closed his eyes, seeing Newt's smiling face in his mind. The way the corners of his eyes crinkled ever so slightly, the dimples in his cheeks, if Newt didn't survive, Thomas didn't know what he would do. He loved this boy so much, and he needed him by his side.

As he was replaying all his moments with Newt in his head, he heard faint sirens coming from down the street. He held Newt's hand tighter. "Hang in there, Newt. Don't go just yet, please."

Thomas had left the door unlocked, so he heard loud footsteps nearing towards the door as they looked for the room they were in. He held on tighter, whispering, "They're here, Newt. It's okay, they're here, and you're going to be okay. I know it."

The drive to the hospital seemed like forever for Thomas, and although he was in the ambulance with Newt, he wanted to get to the hospital as soon as possible, so the medics could secure his health. His heart was beating, which almost made Thomas cry in happiness, even though it was very faint. He kept his head high, not letting himself think of the bad that could happen, because he knew he would break down into tears.

The ambulance started slowing down as the medics drove it into the parking lot, right outside the entrance. Thomas' leg was bouncing up and down quickly, wanting Newt to be inside that hospital at that exact moment, so he would be checked on. It seemed like hours before Thomas was in the waiting room, while Newt was in one of the rooms, being checked by several medics, to ensure that he would be okay, or, in a bad case, not okay.

Thomas waited.

One hour.

Two hours.

Three hours.

And finally, finally, the medics were finished. They told Tommy that he had cut a major artery, but since Thomas had found and called them as soon as he did, the was a half chance he would be okay, and half a chance he wouldn't.

That didn't make Thomas feel all that better.

"Wa - wait! How long be - before I can... see him?" Thomas asked the woman he had talked to as she was walking away. "If you're not immediate family, maybe around, three or four hours?" Thomas groaned, he wanted to see him right then.

"I'm sorry, but those are the rules. By the way, have you called his parents, or any siblings he may have?" she asked. He shook his head. "He doesn't have any immediate family. They died in a car crash when he was younger." The nurse nodded.

"I see... just about how close are you two?" she asked again, with a quizzical look on her face. "Well, I'm his boyfriend, so, I'd like to say pretty close," he replied back. She smiled. "Well, if he doesn't have any immediate family to call, you're his boyfriend, so you're probably the next best person for him to see when he wakes up. Follow me."

Thomas stared at her, jaw hanging. She was letting him go? He got up slowly, following the woman to a room down the hall. When they arrived, he told her, "Thank you, very much." She shook her head. "Don't mention it. Now, get going in," and with that, she walked away.

Thomas turned around, putting his hand on the door handle, slowly pushing it. He heard the faint beeping of the heart monitor, and sighed in relief. Newt's okay, he's going to be okay, Thomas thought to himself. It's all okay.