prologue 𓆸

————————
➺ ꧁ ❦ ꧂ ➺
————————

YOU DREAM — ISOBEL WALLER-BRIDGE + TARA NOME DOYLE

————————
➺ ꧁ ❦ ꧂ ➺
————————

prologue!

————————
➺ ꧁ ❦ ꧂ ➺
————————

the picture of pain and flaw

————————
➺ ꧁ ❦ ꧂ ➺
————————

————————➺ ꧁ ❦ ꧂ ➺————————

SHOUTING.

RAIN.

WINTER.

THE metallic smell of blood.

the warrior was standing in a landscape marked by hard water frozen to ice, painted by hills covered in snow artistically, decorated with oddly picturesque barren trees, and cold, melancholic stones in black.

ruby heard a child's soft cry — had they lost someone or something dear to them to death?

a mother? a father? a sibling, perhaps? or a friend? maybe a pet?

then, a shower of deadly arrows shot down upon the fleeing people, people who were crying and screaming, some in sorrow, others in pain.

and who watched the chaos unravel in their midst?

ruby.

ruby yue, daughter of the leader of the yue clan, a successor to daxin yue and qiyun yue, the leaders of the most influential and most powerful wushi clan — a coven of chinese witches and shamans, conjurers and sorcerers.

"run!" a woman in the distance screeched at her son while trying to use her body to shield her son.

ruby felt... pity for the woman.

the woman was going to pay with her last breath for shouting like this, ruby knew it.

there was no way the poor woman would get away from a scene like this unnoticed.

she turned her head away when she heard the cocking of an arrow beside her. it buzzed artfully through the air, digging into the weeping woman's back, a gasp of surprise, then no more sound.