No Worse Ways To Be Introduced

Start from the beginning

Jace looked at the red-head. "Clary, the Mortal Cup is the most important object in the Shadow World. Whoever possesses it can create more Shadowhunters. And in the wrong hands... control demons."

"If Jocelyn hid the Cup from Valentine, then she's in more danger than you can possibly imagine." Hodge falls to the floor, screaming in pain.

"Hodge!" Jace runs to the man, helping him sit up.

Clary stood back, watching it from afar. "I hate to make you suffer like this. I'm so sorry."

"Your mother was only trying to protect you." The reformed circle member looked up at Clary. "And now you must protect her. Stop Valentine... before he destroys us all." He then made eye contact with Jace, silently telling him that Kassidy would need to help as well.

Kassidy's twin didn't see the interaction. She was too busy keeping her breathing steady as she walked off. Jace followed shortly after.

"Clary." She didn't even look at the blonde. "Clary, look, will you just calm down?"

"Calm down? Really, calm down?" Clary snapped. "Okay, Jace, you might be some kind of emotionless G.I. Joe, but-"

"What is a G.I. Joe?" Jace asked, not understanding the reference.

She then clarified. "A soldier who doesn't understand human emotions, who doesn't know what it's like to lose someone, to lose your own mother."

His eyes shifted downwards before glazing back up again. "You're right. I never knew my mother."

She turns beat red from embarrassment. "I didn't know."

"That's precisely my point." Jace told her, tired of all her emotions. "You don't know anything about this. You don't know about me, you don't know about my life, you don't know about yo-" He almost said sister, but stopped himself before he could.. "but in the Shadow World, no training and no plan gets you killed."

Clary rubs her forehead and recapes what they have both learned in the past few hours. "Okay, so we know that Valentine is back and wants the Cup, and for some reason he thinks my mother has it.'

"Could she?" He questioned. "Have the Cup?"

The red-head shrugged. "I don't know."

"Look, Clary, you know about runes." He wondered how far back the memory wipe went. "You've drawn them. You... you know something. Think, please."

"I've tried, Jace, okay? It's just this empty blackness." Clary sighs, disappointed she couldn't help.

Knowing that the wipe must've gotten rid of everything about the Shadow World like his girlfriend said, Jace doesn't waste anymore time with the idea. "Your memory's been wiped."

Her eyes squinted with disbelief. "That's not possible. Is it?"

Jace looked her up and down. "Absolutely, if you know a warlock."

Clary looked at him like he was crazy. "A warlock?"

"Yeah, a warlock, Clary. Immortal beings, they're half-demon, half-human. Sometimes their fingers spark." His mind flashed to all the times he had seen Kas do magic.

Suddenly, something clicks in Clary's mind. "Dot, my mom's assistant, her hands had this purple glow when she opened the wall and my mom pushed me through and I ended up at the police station."

"That was a Portal." He was glad they finally had a lead. "Dot must have been a warlock. Only warlocks can create them."

"Wait, so you're saying if we find the real Dot, she could help us find the Cup and get my mom back?"