And why do I have the feeling that last night was a farewell? Get the bad thoughts out of your head, Alana, everything's okay...

Watching the snow cover the elite area of the city in large flakes, I shuddered slightly, feeling how Mike's gentle touch flowed into a firm embrace. The New Year was coming, another leaf in my life. And it was time to confess my feelings. Right. Exactly at midnight, I will open my heart to Mike.

"Do you remember there's a Christmas party at the university today? Or rather, as it's called, 'The Christmas Ball'," Mike said in a half-whisper in my ear, at the same time stroking my belly under my T-shirt.

My blood froze in my veins. Of course I knew, but did he really think I would go there? No way. And yet the bad feeling grew like a snowball. Share my experience with him? Should I tell him about the conversation Jess and I overheard a couple of months ago? Although... No, that's stupid.

You should have done it in a timely manner, Alana...

"I'm not going. I have nothing to wear," I said the first thing that came to mind, acknowledging the stupidity of my answer, but still...

"You've found something to worry about," Norton snorted. "An outfit is waiting for you in the closet, and I am sure that you will outshine everyone with your beauty."

It was useless to argue with him. He had to go to this ball to appear before his teachers, who have him in good standing, and he could not go alone. So, I had two options: either I dress up nicely and go with him, or he will drag me there anyway, no matter how I look.

The dress was truly chic: cut to the floor, the turquoise fabric tailored to emphasize a dignified figure. High-heeled shoes shimmered in the light like a million diamonds. I styled my hair in large curls and applied evening makeup. The pendant Norton had once given me complimented the overall picture.

I closed my eyes and exhaled. I didn't even want to think about how many zeros I was wearing at that moment.

"You're amazingly beautiful." Mike's excited voice did not make things easier; on the contrary, it added even more butterflies to my stomach.

Evening. Campus. Thankfully, the paths were cleared. Otherwise, there would have been a show of Antarctic penguins. One building of the sports section was prepared and decorated for this event. There were a lot of people inside, and it was not easy for us to find 'our own', or rather, Norton's acquaintances. On top of that, I could not see Jess.

"You're so tense. Have you lost anyone?" Mike asked, leading me in a slow dance.

"I'm waiting for Jessica; I need to talk to her urgently."

"You can always talk to me," he replied.

"Of course I can. If you have a vagina in your pants, you're a pretty blonde and your name is Jessica Milton." I laughed when the guy picked me up and spun me around.

After a while I found what I what I was looking for. She was arguing with Alex about something and looked very anxious. When I approached them, Jess looked at me.

"Alana," she gasped, but remained restless, scanning the space behind me.

"What happened?" I approached her and lightly touched her hand.

"Someone's being paranoid. She saw Wood's car in the parking lot and flew into a panic," Alex said.

Mark? Here? Why did he decide to show up today?

My eyes grew wider with every second, and I could scoop the fear out of them with a spoon. It was easy for Alex to talk like that; he didn't hear that conversation. God, how stupid we were to keep our mouths shut.

"Girls, why these faces?" Norton came over and put his hand on my lower back. Something was definitely brewing, and I felt it would have unpleasant consequences for me.

"Miranda arrived in her brother's car while hers is being repaired, and these two bugs made a fuss. Let's go get them something to drink. Maybe they need some liquid courage?" Alex suggested, and he and Mike disappeared into the crowd.

"Jess," I began in a trembling voice, "I'm scared... Do you feel it too?" Before she could respond, Miranda bumped into her, nearly knocking them both off their feet.

"Jessica! There you are! And I've been looking for you everywhere. Come on, I really need to introduce you to someone!" The blonde did not even have time to open her mouth, as this black fury carried her to the other end of the hall.

So, Alana, calm down. Nothing bad will happen. It's just a combination of circumstances that forced you to stand here alone. Take a deep breath and go for a walk...

But as soon as I closed my eyes and took a breath, I felt a sudden burning sensation in my neck, as if someone had injected me with something. Everything happened in an instant. I didn't even have time to respond to anything. Putting my hand over the pain, I staggered on the spot. I was too terrified to turn around - I wouldn't see anything good there. Everything blurred before my eyes, and eventually darkness fell over me.