Chapter 32. Only know in the moment.

Start from the beginning

—Y-yeah, I'll go down in a moment.

—Very well, if you excuse me then.

About an hour or so later, I was working on the task that I had left interrupted the day before, when someone knocked on my door. This time, it was Rosanne.

—Please, take a seat.

—Y-yes...

I let the tension build a bit before speaking.

—I heard that you got an important request from his majesty. It is not my intention to pry into the details, but it is pretty obvious that this is taking a toll on you.

—I... I know. But if I don't find her, then everyone–! —she said, sounding distressed, but her gaze crossed mine and she shut up.

—I see. You have to find someone? If this is an urgent matter, shouldn't more people be helping you?

She shook her head.

—No, I am the only one who can find her. And it is not... THAT urgent. There should still be time, at least 5 months or so.

—5 months? —I came closer to her, with a disappointed look —If you keep forcing yourself to this extent, you'll burn yourself before you find the answer. Besides, tiredness and exhaustion can block your mind from seeing what is right in front of you.

—Ughhh...

—So at least for this week, you are to rest and recover. That might help you clear your mind.

—...Fine —she said, sulking a bit.

—Now that THAT has been settled, what would you like to have for your birthday party?

—Eh? —she blurted —What did you say?

—Your birthday. The young lady was born soon after the start of the year, but you were born in the middle of it, weren't you?

—W-who told you?

—Sophie, of course.

—G'mit! —she said between her teeth.

Rosanne loved to celebrate other people's birthdays, especially her daughter's, but she apparently wasn't fond of celebrating her own. After all these years working for her, I had a pretty good guess about the reason for this. She was a noble woman, so big parties were to be expected, but multitudes of unknown people were her weakness. Whenever she was forced into those situations, her face would freeze into an emotionless expression, but I'm pretty sure she was panicking on the inside.

—Do not worry, we'll just invite your close friends, nothing too fancy —I said.

After all, the whole reason for the party was to help her relax, not to make her even more stressed. I saw her breath in relief and drew a smile on her face.

—I will appreciate that.

We concluded the meeting there, but I had to tell everyone to keep an eye on Rosanne, to make sure she was actually resting. Later that day, once I had finished my duties, I started writing all the invitations, so that Adrian could deliver them to the capital. The radio was playing softly in the background. I wrote a letter for her Majesty and her family as well, though I had heard she was still out of the country. At the very least, the princes Julius and Gaius might come to play with the young lady.

When all my work was done I got up to go to bed, but I noticed I felt more tired than usual, and my body felt stiffer. I had moved a bit more than usual, but nothing to that extreme. Perhaps the humidity was finally getting on to me, it has been quite a while since the last sunny day after all.