Chapter 52 - Sokka's Master, Part Two

Почніть із самого початку

"Hey, we're not finished with your earthbending!" Toph protested.

Eziri and Aang ignored her, running off to start firebending. Eziri grabbed one of her bags along the way. "Whoops! Maybe later!" She called over her shoulder. Toph raised a small chunk of earth to trip the firebender but Eziri leapt over it with a laugh.

"Alright, looks like Sokka isn't the only one who's learning something new today." Eziri said with a bright smile. She and Aang stripped down to their training clothes and stood in a barren area near their campsite. Eziri made sure they were far from any vegetation or flammable objects.

"So, what are we starting with? Fireballs? That crazy spark move? Oh! Oh! Can you teach me how to create blue fire?"

Eziri chuckled. "Slow down there, airboy. You might have had a little training with Jeong Jeong, but we're still starting with the basics." She pulled a few candles from her bag and set them on the ground.

Aang groaned. "Aw, come on. Not the candle thing again."

Eziri stood and raised one of her eyebrows. "Would you rather go back to earthbending."

Aang sighed in defeat. "No."

"Great. Sit your butt down, then." Aang did as he was told and Eziri sat down on the opposite side of the candles. She leaned down close to the wicks and blew out a small breath of fire to light all three. "Ok, Aang. You know the drill." He shifted into a meditative pose. "Match the flames to your breathing." Aang nodded and thought back to what Eziri taught him in Ba Sing Se. It wasn't long before the flames of the candles grew and shrunk with each breath.

Eziri waited a few minutes, letting Aang ease into firebending again. Once she was satisfied, she extinguished the candles and the pair stood.

"Okay, step one: create a flame." Eziri said with a smile. "Hold your palm out." Aang did as he was told. "Focus on the energy in your hand. Visualize the flame you want to create."

Aang tried his best, but nothing happened. "I can't do it." He said sadly.

"Nonsense. You're just not used to it." Eziri picked up one of the candles and lit it with her breath of fire. "Hold your hand out." Aang moved his palm towards her. "You're going to take the flame from the candle, alright? I'd have you take the flame from my hand but I'm not sure that's the best idea right now." She held the candle over his palm, careful to angle it so the wax wouldn't drip on his skin. Aang hesitantly reached out and used his bending to pull some of the fire from the wick. The candle flame grew smaller for a moment and Aang moved his hand away, now holding a small flame in his palm.

He gasped in surprise. "I did it!"

Eziri smiled proudly. "You sure did. Okay, next lesson..."

Eziri walked him through some more basics of firebending and even started teaching him the most basic firebending set. They didn't use fire while he was learning, but Eziri told him they'd start soon.

Aang spent the whole day working through forms and hanging on every word Eziri said. Eventually, they were both overheated, exhausted, and ready for a break. It was almost dusk and they walked back towards camp.

"Well, how'd it go?" Katara asked. Aang gave Eziri a questioning look and she nodded. He then lit a small flame in his palm. "That's great, Aang!" Katara hugged the young airbender and he put out the fire in his hand.

"Big whoop, you can make a little fire now." Toph grumbled.

"You're just bitter because I stole your student." Eziri plopped down next to Toph and pulled out a small bag of berries. She nudged Toph's arm and held out the bag. Toph huffed and took a handful of the fruit.

"You guys missed it–Sokka came back for a little while."

"He did?" Eziri asked, a little sad she missed him.

"Yeah, Toph earthbent a chunk of that meteor up to Master Piandao's Estate. I think they're making a sword out of it."

"Nice." Eziri nodded and popped some berries into her mouth. "Did he say how his lessons are going?"

"Not really–just said he needed to get back. He says we can all meet him there tomorrow morning."

"Good. I miss him." Eziri said. "If you want, you guys can head up there in the morning and I'll get everything packed."

"Fine by me!" Toph smirked. Eziri rolled her eyes, knowing the young girl would likely leave behind a mess.

The next day, Toph, Aang, and Katara met Sokka at Piandao's estate. As promised, Eziri stayed behind to pack everything up. She was eager to see Sokka's progress, but she'd have to wait until they all got back.

She had just secured the last of their belongings to Appa's saddle when she heard footsteps and light chatter approaching. Eziri smiled and hopped down from the saddle. The second Sokka was in view, she ran over and threw her arms around him.

"Well? How was it? Are you a master swordsman now?"

Sokka chuckled and leaned back. "Not quite, but maybe someday."

"Yeah, he was actually decent." Toph admitted. Sokka glared at the earthbender but Eziri stifled her laugh.

"Hm, I guess we'll have to spar more often so you stay sharp." Eziri tapped her finger on the tip of his nose.

"So what did you guys do while I was gone?" He asked the group.

"Eh, not much."

"Nothing really."

Katara and Toph said. Aang and Eziri shared a knowing look and the firebender smiled. She took a step back from everyone.

"Well, I–" She started to fake cough. "Aang and I actually–" She continued her fake cough and took a few more steps back. Once she was a safe distance away, she turned her cough into a breath of fire and smirked at the shocked expression on her boyfriend's face.

"No way." He whispered. He was frozen in shock for a moment before a wide grin spread across his face. "You got your bending back?"

"No, I just have this new disease called fire-itis. It's where you spontaneously breathe out–" Her sarcastic rant was interrupted as Sokka shut her up with a kiss. She smiled into the kiss and then pulled back. "Shit, now you're gonna start coughing up fire too."

Sokka playfully rolled his eyes and put his arm around her shoulder. "Right." He deadpanned. "Let's get going. We have a schedule to stick to."

The group all climbed onto Appa and flew away–keeping to Sokka's ridiculously tedious master schedule.

______

A/N: Quick chapter :) Next one will be longer.

Thanks for reading!