The gift

"Hi, Mike," Peter said softly, opening the door. Mike was sitting on his bed, seemingly not doing anything. He looked up at Peter as he entered.

"Hi."

Peter smiled and looked down.

"So, uh, we have something for you. It's downstairs."

Mike frowned, not wanting to leave the room.

"Just come on, it'll be worth it," Peter grinned at him. Mike sighed and stood up. He had heard most of the fight from the other day, knowing it was about him. After that, he continued to stay in the bedroom, not feeling comfortable going back down, even if he couldn't remember the reason why.

Downstairs, Davy and Molly were sitting together at the kitchen table, and Micky was on the couch, fidgeting in excitement with the box behind his back.

"Hey, Mike," Davy smiled at him as he and Peter walked down the stairs. "Have you met Molly?"

He shook his head and turned his attention toward her.

"Nice to meet you."

Molly nodded slightly, putting on a smile.

"You too," she said quietly. This was now their fifth first introduction, and she never quite got used to it.

"We have something for you!" Micky blurted out like an excited child. Mike was confused and turned to Davy and Peter for an explanation.

"Just a little something, we thought, that might make you feel better." Davy smiled and shrugged. Peter nodded happily.

"Now, close your eyes!" Micky ordered, which snapped Mike's focus back to him. He still didn't seem to understand what they were talking about.

"Just close your eyes," Micky sighed and Mike obeyed.

"Now, hold out your hands."

Mike opened one eye to look at Micky.

"Keep your eyes closed!" He complained and Mike closed his eyes again. Micky sighed. "Okay, hold out both hands but still keep your eyes closed."

Mike's eyes squinted tighter and he held out his hands.

"Moment of truth," Davy whispered to Molly. She nodded and watched the two.

Micky smiled and placed the box in Mike's hands. He seemed startled by the weight of the box, but held on tight to it, still squeezing his eyes shut.

"Okay, you can open your eyes now."

He did and looked down at the box in his hands. It was sealed shut.

"It's closed," he pointed out and Micky let out a laugh.

"It is, yeah." Micky sighed as he peeled off the tape and the cardboard flaps opened. Mike frowned when he looked inside.

"Mike?" Peter asked, a little concerned. He didn't answer, just continued looking in the box. He slowly walked over to the kitchen table and set it down, not taking his eyes off it.

"What is it?" Molly asked, trying to poke her head to see what was inside. Mike didn't acknowledge her but slowly pulled out the video camera. He studied the object closely before he turned to look at each individual face, confused.

"It's for you," Peter explained with a smile. "So you can record stuff you want to remember for later."

It was like someone lit the light bulb inside Mike's head. He stared at Peter, tears filling in his eyes for a moment before he smiled.

"Thank you," he said quietly, turning his attention back to the camera in his hands. It looked more fragile in his hands now.

"Here, let me show you how it works." Micky approached him and talked him through what each button did. Mike turned it on and held it up to his eye. The camera light flashed red and Davy and Molly could see Mike light up when it did.

"It works!" He said happily, turning the camera to Micky.

"We already put the batteries in it for you," Davy smiled, not used to seeing Mike this happy about anything. It was a pleasant thing, though. "Figured you'd want to use it right away if you got the chance."

Mike smiled. No, he beamed as he turned the camera to face each person individually.

"It works," he repeated, and Peter smiled and stepped in front of the lens.

"Peter," was all he said.

"Hi, Mike," he smiled. "I'm glad you like it. It's yours."

"I'm glad," he echoed with a smile.

"I know, I can see that."

Mike nodded, and the camera light turned off. He slowly pulled it down, revealing his teary eyes.

"Thank you," he smiled.

"For the camera?" Davy clarified. "You're welcome."

Mike shook his head.

"Just thank you."

Micky sighed and smiled.

"Awww, come 'ere, Mike."

Mike turned to look at him, not understanding what he meant. Micky sighed and walked over, pulling Mike into a hug.

"Thank you," Mike repeated with a relieved sigh.

"Of course."