𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚈 -a spell of kindness-

Start from the beginning

She glanced at the naked apple tree again, drawing the last line on her sketch. A wide smile spread across her face after two days of work she could finally get to the fun part. She ran up the stairs, almost bumping into her mother on the way up.

After running into her room, she pulled her watercolour palette out from under her bed. She blew the dust off of it. In this house, two days without using something was enough to then find it covered in dust.

When she came back downstairs, it smelled of potato soup, which she was happy about since they'd had been eating the same fish soup for a week.

Her mother had fallen asleep with Manfred in her arms, he'd luckily calmed down pretty quick.

My human sat back down at the kitchen table, and then she realised she needed water to activate her paint. While she grabbed a glass and filled it with water, Helga took a spoon and quickly tasted the soup she was making, she slightly frowned.

"Do you think there is enough salt in this Heidi?" She asked, offering her a teaspoon of the liquid.

She beamed as this was usually something Frieda got to do and not her. This was the first time she tasted something before it was actually served and it did taste like it lacked something.

"Yes, I think so." She told her. Helga nodded.

"Do you know if you have any more salt here, Heidi?"

Heidi pondered for a moment and then she remembered what Wilma had told her earlier that morning. They didn't have any left and she was going to go but some with her own savings at herr Hofmann's store.

"We don't have any more salt." She informed her. "My sister was going to buy some with her savings today."

Suddenly Helga's expression dropped and guilt washed over her face.

"You're sister that works after school?"  Helga asked. Heidi nodded.

"Where is she now?"

"She's at the mayor's house."

The room went silent for a minute.

"Could you do me a favour, dear?" Helga turned to My little Heidi, who wanted nothing more than to start painting, but hoping  to be helpful she nodded.

"Would you mind getting salt and some ingredients to make cinnamon rolls back at my house?"

The girl lit up at the mention of cinnamon rolls and not just any old cinnamon rolls:

Helga Fischer's cinnamon rolls.

In a matter of seconds Her coat was on and she was tying her shoes to run down to Helga's house. Before the door shut behind her she heard Helga yell after her.

"Please bring my sons with you as well!"

Heidi's smile widened at that and she ran all the way down to the end of the streets. She pushed the door open and her expression brightened as she found Alexander playing with Johann in the living room.

"Mädchen!" he exclaimed happily when he noticed her. "What are you doing here?" He tried to make his voice sound surprised, but the truth was that he completely expected her to come over at some point during the day.

"Your mother is making lunch at my house, she asked me to get some things." She quickly explained, opening a few drawers in the kitchen.

"What kind of things?" Alexander asked, joining her in the kitchen. Heidi picked out some flour, a few eggs, cinnamon, butter and yeast. Alexander smiled.