Bliss (Interlude)

Start from the beginning

Still, you maintain a stronger need to respond. "I know." You encourage Din to lie back beside you as you keep yourself tucked into his side. With Din's arm wrapped around you and the other running soothing strokes along your back, you're secure once again. Only one of your nagging thoughts make it through to the surface. "Where are the kids?"

"In their crib." Din's voice is as lighthearted as ever as he gestures over to the large crib just further off in the spacious guest room of Boba's palace. "Grogu promised to keep Zora safe."

"Yeah?" You smile to yourself and let the sound of Din's heartbeat underneath your ear ease you further. "Is he speaking now, or did I somehow miss that?"

Din releases a low chuckle. "We don't need words to communicate, rid'ika. You know that."

"I do." You look up at Din to see him already returning your gaze. The smile that tugs at your lips is instinctive. "I can't tell you how special that is to me." You push yourself up on your elbow to kiss him, more than happy to lose yourself in the warmth of his love that pours into his every action. Though the display of affection is brief, it's enough to soothe much of your wounded heart, causing your lips to linger as you cling to the sweet relief Din never fails to provide you with.

Before you can lie down again, you remain where you are and let your eyes wander away from Din's gaze. You inspect the places on his upper half where the blood had been running in your nightmare with a heavy weight inside your chest. Your touch is delicate as your fingertips run over the skin, most places still scarless while some bear memories of other battles.

You're unaware of the furrow in your brow until your husband's thumb smooths it out. The action draws your attention back to him and his expression of kind concern. Din's question is soft and void of any judgment or accusation. "Did you have that nightmare again?"

You tighten your jaw and nod, unable to look at Din any longer. Your eyes squeeze closed as you remember flashes of the violence you inflicted upon one of the three people you love most in the galaxy. You manage to fight off a whimper just at the memories. "I don't understand, Din." You reopen your eyes and meet Din's sympathetic gaze. "Why does this keep happening?"

"You've been through a lot, cyar'ika." Din's voice, as hoarse as it still is from the sleep he's sacrificing for your sake, is as wise and soft as ever. He caresses the side of your face as he goes on. "You've been so focused on me and my struggles that you haven't really let yourself process any of it. I appreciate your help more than you could ever know." Din takes one of your hands and brings it to his lips to press a few kisses upon your knuckles. "But like I said before, you don't have to be that strong for me all the time. I want to help you, too."

"You already do." Your reassurance is quick as Din releases your hand and lets you run over the scruff along his jaw. "So much. That's why I..." you shake your head, aimless, "I don't know why my subconscious keeps bringing me back to that burning cantina."

Din shrugs, though the wisdom that follows is anything but nonchalant. "You never let yourself process that, and seeing what you saw with the rancor in Mos Espa must've brought all of that trauma back." He holds a breath and lets his gaze rise to the ceiling in thought. "We have even more to lose now than we did then. That's why it hurts worse this time around, even if I ended up being all right." Din looks at you with a furrow in his brow. "If that makes sense."

"It does." You look at him with amazement for a long moment. "That was profound, riduur."

"I learn from the best." Din pulls you back to him for a kiss and keeps you there with his forehead resting against yours. "You and your struggles are not a burden to me. They won't ever be." He runs his hand along your head as he waits for you to fully grasp his words. "It'll take time for your subconscious to understand that, but trust me." Din smiles, a breathtaking gesture that makes you feel as if there couldn't be a single bad thing in the entire galaxy. "I'm truly all right, and nothing will ever take me away from you."