Chapter 25: For Carter

Start from the beginning

"We meet again." Savage says. "Oh, I'm grateful for another opportunity to kill you."

"Stop struggling" he told Mick who was squirming beneath his arms "I've had 4,000 years of training in every hold and pressure point known. But you already know that don't you? That I'm immortal."

"I'm gonna kill you anyway. That's a promise" Leonard snarled at him. No one touched Mick if Leonard had anything to say about it. You touched his arm slightly hoping it might calm him down.

"Oh, what have I done to deserve such enmity? No let me rephrase that. What have I done to you? Perhaps you have targeted me for something I've yet to do. You traveled here from some point in the future."

"Catches on fast this guy" It was Ray's turn to snarl.

"Visitors from another time." He hit Mick and Mick collapsed to the floor.

"You won't be so happy when the rest of the team shows up and knocks that smug grin off your face." Ray told him.

"Oh, why wait?" Savage picked the earpiece that had fallen from Mick's ear. "A communications device of some sort I imagine. " He threw it at Ray.

"Please. Contact your friends. I'm looking forward to seeing at least two of them again." He said pointing the gun again at you guys. 

Leonard grabbed the device from Ray. Gideon patched him through to the Waverider.

"I'll make this short. The owner of the mansion we burgled is Vandal Savage. He's really interested in meeting you guys. Especially our feathered friends. " Leonard said real serious into the comms glancing between you and Ray.

"Your friends are cowards." Savage spat at us.

"They'll be here" you defended them. 

A few moments passed before Savage bent down and picked up Mick and held the gun to his head. "They're taking too long. They need an incentive."

You were not going to let anything happen to Mick and just as you were ready to phase through the bars before he could pull the trigger in came a familiar storm of fire knocking Savage back.

"Oh, the burning man" Savage admired him. 

"I don't just burn pal" Jax said before throwing another ball of fire knocking Savage all the way back across his house. Jax came down in front of the cage. "I blast things too."

Jax turned to look at Mick. "Hey, you okay?"

Mick sat up. "I'm pissed." 

Jax turned to the cage. "Stand back." He blasted more fire opening the cage.

You all got outside as quick as you could but not before grabbing the dagger. "It's all good. Savage is down." Jax said proudly as you guys walked up to the others in front of the house.

"Savage is not defeated by earthly means." Carter told Jax.

"Well, I hit him with a nuclear blast, so you know not that earthly." Jax said still proudly.

Leonard held out the dagger to Carter which Carter took. "Go get that son of a bitch" he told Carter.

You smiled.

Carter looked at Kendra. "You ready to end this?"

"We've only been waiting 4,000 years" Kendra said before they both flew off to face Savage.

"We got company" Mick said turning around. 

You looked over to the side of the yard to see a group of men running towards your group.

"Friends of Savage, you'll be needing this." Rip handed Ray his atom suit. "Don't leave any pieces of it behind this time."

You all spread out around the front lawn of the house fighting off Savages men while Kendra and Carter attempted to end it with Savage.

It took a few good minutes as Savages men were relentless but eventually you got them sorted. You all regrouped and ran back to the porch to help out Kendra and Carter.

When you got there, you saw Carter laying on the ground and next to him was Kendra with Savage ready to plow the dagger into her. Ray sent a blast at Savage from his suit.

Rip leaned down to check out Carter's pulse. "He's lost." Standing back up he pointed to Kendra. "Get Kendra before Savage recovers."

"Come on we can still kill this bastard" Leonard said determined. 

"Kendra is the only one who can." You reminded him. Though you felt his sentiments.

"We gotta go. Kendra needs medical attention." Ray said picking her up.

As you started back to the Waverider, more of Savages men came after you. Leonard, Mick, and Rip used their guns to fire back until we were all on board and the door closed.

"Gideon get us underway as soon as Firestorm and the Atom are on board." Rip said as you started to climb into the ship.

"Get her to the med bay now." Rip instructed Mick who carried Kendra in.

You hoped she would be alright.

***********************************************************************************************

You all eventually managed to sink back into your seats in the cortex. Taking in what just went down. Bringing you all out of your thoughts, Professor Stein and Rip walk in. 

"How's Kendra?" Professor Stein asked.

"The same" Sara responded.

"So, what now?" Jefferson asked.

"Now?" Rip started "Now it's up to you."

"To do what Rip? Last I checked every time we try to do anything it all goes to crap." Leonard replied negatively causing you to frown.

"Oh, once again I must disagree with you. Thanks to Miss Lance, Dr. Palmer's future technology is no longer in the hands of Vandal Savages black market weapon designers." Rip tried to lift everyone's spirits. 

"But it didn't do anything to change the fate of your world." Professor Stein pointed out.

"No" Rip sighed "Vandal Savage will still rise to power in the year 2166."

"And your family will still die?" You asked him sympathetically.

"So, what you're really asking is do we wanna fish or cut bait? Return to 2016 and live out the rest of our lives as insignificant losers or... " Leonard thought out loud.

"Make another play at becoming legends. Figure out how to end Savage and save the world." Ray finished.

"Preferably without causing any more nuclear explosions." Professor Stein added.

"Savage has my attention." Mick spoke making the decision for himself instead of going along with what Leonard wanted.

"Look we didn't know Carter from Adam but if you take out one of my crew you better pay the price." Leonard added sternly.

You sat forward in your seat looking past Leonard. "And I'm sure Captain Hunter has more up his sleeve right?"

Rip gave you a hint of a mischievous smile.

Professor Stein looked to Jax "what about you?"

"You're asking me?" Jax looked surprised. 

"I didn't give you much of a choice the first time, did I?"

"Well, I say we kick Savage's ass. For Carter."

"For Carter" you all say agreeing.

"So, captain, where are we going?" Professor Stein asked ready for the next adventure.

"Ah- when are we going next?" You say as everyone smiles in your direction.