CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Start from the beginning

Will raised an eyebrow, a small smile jerking his lips upward. "I presume a 'white Christmas' is Christmas with snow?"

Giselle nodded. "Yep. 'White Christmas' is the name of my favorite Christmas song, too. Don't worry, though, I packed a CD with Christmas music on it that we can listen to while we decorate."

Will blew out a breath, shaking his head and smiling. "You weren't exaggerating when you said you love Christmas."

"Not in the slightest," she told him. "My whole family loves Christmas—which apparently is the opposite of your family."

"We enjoy Christmas, just not the pointless decorating."

"But the decorating is the best part! How else will you build up your Christmas spirit?!"

Will laughed again. "'Christmas spirit?' How many more Christmas terms do you have?"

"Oh, boatloads," she smirked, her teeth beginning to chatter.

Will noticed, his smile lessening. "Why don't you go inside. I'll go get your tree for you."

"Absolutely not. You'll probably bring back a tiny little Charlie Brown tree!"

"I promise I won't—whatever that means. I'll pick out a tree you like," Will said. "Just go inside, Giselle, your lips are nearly blue."

"Heck no, I'm coming with."

Will sighed. "Don't blame me when you get frostbite."

"Oh, I will most certainly blame you," Giselle joked. "It would be your fault for not making me go inside."

"I figured that would be the case." He rolled his eyes.

"So, do y'all have any Christmas ornaments? Or garlands? Or lights? Or any Christmas decor at all?"

Will nodded. "We have a few decorations. My Uncle Joseph loved Christmas. He used to decorate nearly every room of our house."

Giselle looked over to will, noting the pinch of sadness in his eyes. "Is that part of the reason why you don't like decorating? Because it reminds you of him?"

He caught her eyes. "Perceptive, aren't you?" he joked before losing his humor and nodding. "Yes, it is. I suppose Selene feels the same. She used to be just as enthusiastic about Christmas as he was."

Giselle's steps slowed, her shoulders slumping. "Oh," she said, "maybe we shouldn't get a tree or decorate, then. I don't want to do something that'll make either of you sad," she realized, beginning to turn back.

Will caught her arm, gently bringing her back. "Hey, maybe some of this 'Christmas spirit' you've been talking about will be good for us. And, I know the children would enjoy the decorations." He looked down at the axe in his hand. "Though, I think we could do without the tree."

Giselle laughed, continuing deeper into the woods as she tugged him along. "Heck no, we are so getting a tree. You can't convince me otherwise."

He audibly sighed. "Well, at least I tried."

"And failed," Giselle tacked on. Not long after she had spoken did she catch sight of a spruce tree, which looked almost Christmas-card-ready with its snow-covered limbs and scenic atmosphere. It was too big for indoor use, but it still made Giselle all the more excited.

Giselle's steps sped up the closer she got, more trees coming into view. They were all as big or bigger than the first one she had seen, but her Christmas dreams were realized when she finally spotted one tucked behind the cluster of trees. It was almost her height with a few spare spots that Giselle instantly began to theorize how she would artfully cover with decorations.