"I was heading to the library and was hoping you'd wanna come with me?" Daphne asked Jade.

     "Of course," Jade said, and so the two of them began to walk to the Hogwarts library.

     Daphne nudged her with a sly smile, "Dean, huh? Anything you want to tell me?"

     "Shut it, Dean and I are friends," Jade said, rolling her eyes.

     "All I'm saying is I never stayed friends with any of my exes," Daphne laughed.

     "Well my ex is a nice bloke and has a girlfriend so trust me, there's nothing there," Jade assured her.

     "Good, Blaise would be glad to hear that," Daphne muttered low enough for Jade not to hear her.

     The girls found an unoccupied table near the back of the library, bathed in the soft glow of lamplight. They settled their bags on it before sitting down, the creaking of the wooden chairs harmonizing with the hushed whispers of students engrossed in their studies.

     As they took out their work for the day, Jade confessed, "I got a letter from my mother yesterday."

     She had wanted to avoid the topic, but there was no avoiding with Daphne. She had told her best friend most of her relationship with her mother, more than she had ever told anyone else. Sharing with Daphne was like sharing with herself.

     Daphne looked at her in concern, "Oh no. What'd she say? Why didn't you tell me sooner? I would've been there to comfort you."

     Jade waved her off with her hand, "I managed alright, don't worry. And you know her, she said the same old thing, except nastier if possible. She even threatened to disown me."

     "Goodness, Eugenia is one crazed woman. I'm sorry you had to go through it alone," Daphne said.

      "Well... not alone exactly," Jade began.

     "What do you mean?" Daphne asked her.

     Jade didn't know how to even begin to express what had happened last night.

     "The strangest thing ever happened, Daph. I don't think I've even fully processed it. I was in our bathroom having an absolute meltdown after reading the letter and Malfoy found me in there because of Prefect rounds. Instead of giving me detention he just stayed there and we smoked in silence. And spoke, sort of. I don't even know. He wasn't an absolute dickhead for the first time ever and it was so bizarre." Jade told her.

     "I never thought I'd see the day you two would be civil," Daphne said, taken aback by what her best friend had said.

     "Oh, I don't think that will last long. Nothing's changed. We still both hate each other. It was more like an unspoken truce because I was sobbing and shaking like an idiot." Jade commented.

      "Still, one civil interaction can lead to much more," Daphne suggested optimistically.

     "I'm not looking to be friends with the prick. This one civil interaction doesn't cancel out the infinite number of unpleasant ones." Jade replied.

     "Just saying you never know," Daphne grinned.

     Jade was about to respond when Blaise and Theodore joined them at the table, their arrival interrupting the conversation.

     "Never know what?" Blaise asked, settling into the chair next to Jade, while Theo took the seat next to Daphne.

     "When did I invite you both to sit?" Jade rolled her eyes at the boys.