Once that conversation is over, our food comes so we start eating. We're silent for a few minutes before I decide to ask the question that I've been dying to know, "Mateo, what do you see with us? Because in all the years we've been working together, you've never expressed any sort of interest." When I say that, Mateo looks up from his food, wide-eyed. He obviously was shocked I asked that question, and honestly I am too. Although I've been wondering, I didn't expect myself to ask it.

"Well Toni, if I'm being honest I always thought you were beautiful. But not only that, I liked your work ethic. You were always confident in the meeting, not to mention you're a hard worker too. And whenever I pass by your office, or pass by you in general, you've got this big smile on your face; like you're the happiest girl in the world. And despite being a millionaire, my life is complicated. I'm in the Mafia; that's not something most people would want to associate themselves with," He says, shrugging his shoulders and taking a sip of his wine. I never really thought about it, but he's right. I don't think I'd willingly expose myself to the Mafia -- despite being interested in it. But honestly, I appreciate his consideration for it, for me. I think that most guys wouldn't care. Instead they would try with you anyways, although they are putting you in jeopardy.

Smiling at him, I say, "I think it's sweet that you thought of that; like really sweet. You could still have tried though." He looks at me and gives me a weak smile.

"Toni, nothing in this world would have made me happier than to go on a date with you years ago. But I wasn't sure how you'd accept my life, and I wasn't sure if you wanted to be apart of it; since it isn't always the safest. I know I can keep you safe, there is no doubt in my mind that I can... but it was your choice to make if you wanted to be apart of it, and I was nervous of you saying no," He said, looking at me with a straight face. Although he is showing no emotion, I know that he isn't heartless as he seems, or as cold as he seems. I smile, knowing that I know a different side of him then everyone else.

"I appreciate that you thought of that; and if I'm being honest, it was hard to accept at first. But I feel safe with you, and I feel safe in that house. So, I'm happy that you finally asked," I say, finishing up my food. Mateo just gives me a weak smile before he gets the bill. Mateo being Mateo, he paid -- although I offered. After, we get in the car (Mateo gave me a forehead kiss before closing the door), then we started driving home. It feels weird to call it home, but it's quickly feeling that way.

When we start driving, I feel Mateo's demeanor change. He keeps looking out the window, looking the rear view mirror, and keeps switching lanes... picking up speed each time. I start looking behind us when I notice a black car driving next to us, with guys hanging out the window with guns. I grab Mateo's hand, speechless.

"M-M-Mateo... I, oh my god," As I can't get the words out my mouth, Mateo looks and mumbles the words, fuck, under his breathe. He picks up the speed, as he fumbles for something on his back. With the blink of an eye, he pulls out two guns and drops them on his lap.

"Alright Toni, I need you to steer while I go at them, okay? Just lean over and start steering," As he says that, I look at the speedometer. We're currently going 132 mph, and although I have my license, I haven't driven a car in over a year. There is no way that I can drive at this speed, especially not being in front of the wheel. I slowly turn from looking out the window and look towards Mateo, reaching for his gun.

He snatches it back, giving me a shocked look. "Toni I'm not putting you in danger like that. Just grab the fucking wheel, please."

"Mateo, we're going to be in more trouble if I drive. Unlike you, some of us don't have cars and don't drive every single day of their life. I will crash us and likely kill us okay? So give me the gun and let me do it," I say, reaching and grabbing the gun. I notice the safety is on so I turn it off... slowly turning towards the window, still looking at Mateo.

"If they start getting closer and shooting at us, I take control. I'm not letting you get hurt," He says, giving me a pleading look with scared eyes as I turn my full body towards the window and roll it down. We're the only two cars on the road, which is shocking since it's not that late. I see the car trying to speed up, but Mateo keeps going faster.

"Shoot for the front windshield or the tires, alright?" He says, and I can hear the worry in his face. As if I was waiting for permission to shoot, I aim for the front windshield and pull the trigger. In seconds the entire windshield is shattered, and they start swerving. Then I shoot again, this time inside the car. I shoot and see that I don't hit anyone. Thank goodness, I think to myself. I then shoot for the front tire, hitting it and seeing it blow up. The car completely swerves off the road, and crashes into a light pole. Next thing I know, the car is in flames. Mateo looks over his shoulder, in complete shock.

I lean back into the car, looking down at the gun. Just then, we are pulling off the highway and we're driving down the road that leads towards the house. I'm slowly breathing in and out, and I think Mateo gets worried because he pulls over to the side of the road, shutting the car off and rushing towards my side. He opens the car, grabbing the gun and putting it on the floor, as he turns the lock on it. Then he grabs me and pulls me into his arms, swaying slowly and kissing the top of my head.

"Toni Toni Toni, I know that was scary but you did amazing. You protected us, they were after us. You saved our lives," He says in a whisper as he keeps kissing my forehead. Since I don't respond, he continues to say "I'm so proud of you" and "You saved us Toni". After about two minutes, I slowly look up at him, getting out of my shock.

"Mateo?" I say, putting my chin on his chest and looking into his eyes.

He looks down at me nervously, "Yes Toni?"

I sit like this for a few seconds, looking up at him. He plants one arm on either side of me, trapping me in the car. I finally say, with a wicked smile, "The adrenaline rush I got from that was insane... but I loved it. I loved every moment of being in control of the situation, having total power. I want to do it again."

-

-

-

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, it was a longer one!

Let's talk about this chapter, lots happened! We got to know Mateo a little bit more, how do we feel about him? How do we feel about his conversation with Antonella about his feelings towards her? Also the ending, insane! What do we think about Antonella's confession? Do you think she's going to get more involved with the Mafia?

Let me know what you guys think about this chapter!

Thank you for continuing to read; it means the world to me! I hope you guys are enjoying the story.

xoxo,

Ashley