Ada

No one knows what it's like. It's like being trapped in a box. Life used to be normal. It was an ordinary day until it came. That bomb. Out I nowhere. I knew Germany was at war with Hungary right now, but I had not expected a bomb. If I had just listened to nana, I wouldn't be in this mess. I hear the hospital door creak open. "Oh Ada." Nana says with what sounds as a tiny note of guilt "it wasn't you're fault" It happened about three days ago. My best friend Leota said she was going to hang out with some seniors and asked if I wanted to come. Who would pass up that offer? After I came home from school I asked nana if I could go with Leota to one of the seniors houses, but she said it wasn't safe. I was furious! I had no idea how bad the war was going. So I waited until I was sure she was busy hanging up the clothes to dry, And I sneaked out the window. I still remember it was burned into my brain, tattooed to my mind. One of the senior girls named Calla, or was it Cara, was having a conversation about some girls she met in the restroom that had no sense In fashion when suddenly the bombs came raining down. Leota was screaming at the top of her lungs to run ,but I could just barely hear her over the ringing in my ears. I was flung through the air and hit a brick wall, about four seconds before that rock hit my head. I can feel nana clutching my hand tightly as though if she holds on I enough I won't slip out of her world. But the truth is I'm not going anywhere. If I had the chance to run away from this world of only blackness And thoughts, believe me I would, but I guess the world isn't done with me yet. "Gari, it's time to go". Who is that? I can't figure it out. "Why did this happen Adi?" Adi? My carless mother who didn't even bother taking part in her first borns life? "Mother, Hinric wants to see you" " Give me a minute, okay?" Her hand loosens a little bit, but not much. I can feel my hand shift upward slightly an I can hear her chair squeak as if that indicates she's getting up. She leans over and whisper in my ear "hold on tight" and leaves. I wish I could tell Nana I'm not going anywhere ,but I can't. I can't communicate with the world any more. No one knows I'm awake....and hearing every thing they say. But like I said I'm trapped unable to move or talk, although my feeling and hearing senses are working even better than usual. Some times I hear things that make me try to use every Muscle in my body to smile, evenif I know it's useless. And sometimes I hear things that make me want my monitor to go beeeeeeeep, like in the movies. I've got To say some times u like not being able to communicate. Like when I get mad at some one for saying some thing they think I didn't hear, I can't just swing at them like I usually do. I have the chance to calm down and think about it ,which really helps sometimes. "Well Ada so far Hungary is winning. 2:48 about an hour ago they bombed a town in the west. But at least" he stops as if he's chocking on his own words "at least some of us still have hope." I want to lean over ,hug him, and then go home, but I can't. This is home now. "Wake up Ada" father whispers. I hear the loud door open. " Henric it's time for her x-ray" "Mr.Kaiser you have to leave" It must be a nurse. "Be gentle"
No. No. What's happening? My bed is moving fast. What? What is going on? Then I hear it. The thing I've been waiting for ever since that rock hit my head. Beeeeeeep. Am I hallucinating or is that a tiny circle of light. Where am I? I jerk my body forward. I gasp and listen to it fade off into echoes. I moved. I made a sound. I'm suddenly overwhelmed with joy. Suddenly curiosity got the better of me as I'm running toward the light. It transforms itself into a cracked door. I open it and see her sitting in a garden. "Nana?" "I've been waiting for you, Ada. Germany ,we won"