21

October 7th, 1986. Chapel Hill, California.
Cassie stepped out of the car onto the hot California concrete. Her heels clicked as she stepped into the cool chapel.
She took one of the complimentary cups and filled it water. She took a Tylenol out of her purse and popped it into her mouth.
Her head throbbed with pain. Crying the night before caused her to have a migraine.
She finished off her water and tossed the cup into a garbage can.
Her eyes scanned the room for Cliffs parents. They stood surrounded by a group of people. His fathers head hung low. His mothers face was puffy and red.

Cassie made her way to the group. While Cliffs parents continued their ongoing conversations, Cassie examined the shrine. In front of a stage where a preacher would preach his sermon stood a long wooden table. Pictures of Cliffs life were displayed. Pictures of him as a infant all the way to just a few months ago. In the middle was a large portrait. He stood with his hair long and fuzzy as usual. His casual smirk stained his face. Cassie smiled. Wishing she could feel his lips on her cheek once more. 

"Oh Cassie!" The young girl turned around; Jan finally noticed her.

The Mother pulled her into a hug. "How are you Cassie?" Jan pulled back with one tear streaming down her puffed cheeks.

"I've been better." Cassie looked at both Ron and Jan, "How are you two holding up? Is there anything I can do to help?"

Ron sighed. "I never thought we would have to go through this again. It's just a horrible nightmare. I-" his voice began to break. "I just can't believe it." Jan rubbed her husbands back.

Cassie nodded. "It is a nightmare. I cannot imagine what you two must be feeling. Please, I mean it if there is anything I can do, tell me."

"The most you can do for us is just be here. We appreciate that more than anything. It's all Cliff would ask for." Jan began to cry.

Cassie gave the woman one more hug. Ron gave Cassie a pat on the back as she walked off.

Four men in mismatched suits stood across the room. She found her target.

"Hey," she said almost silently.

James wore sunglasses inside the chapel. He pulled her into a hug. 

"Are you okay Cas?" he asked. The smell of whiskey was faint on his breath.

"No. But it's okay."

He responded in despair, "I just want to get this over with."

They stood in their group until the ceremony started.
"Could everyone please have a seat?" An old man called out.
Dressed in a black starched suit that was slightly too tight, he stood, with his blue tie hanging over the microphone.
His shaky aged hands grabbed a clear plastic cup and took a nice gulp of water, as the guest found their seats.
He nodded towards certain men and women and gave consoling smiles.
"I would like to begin today's service with a thanking. Thank you to all of the friends and family who were able to gather themselves enough to bring themselves here. It takes more courage and bravery to come to a funeral than most recognize. 

Thank you, Ron and Jan for allowing me to stand up here and talk about your boy. This is a blessing. . . I wish I was speaking at his wedding instead of his resting day; but this is where fate led us." 

The Old Man coughed and poured himself more water.
"Lastly, I need to thank Cliff. Thank you son for giving me an opportunity to brag about you."
The Man looked over the crowd; as if he was talking to someone specific but they were not in the room.
"You impacted everyone in this chapel. They all loved you, laughed with you, grew with you, and now they must mourn you. Life is short Cliff, and you showed us. It is our turn to show you Cliff, what all of your laughter, love, sadness, and growth did for us. Our goal is to make you proud and meet with you once more.