Let somebody go

The sun comes through the window and forces me to open my eyes to the world. Behind me there's a soft, heavy breathing. I turn around and look at Daniel sleeping. I smile at the sight. Three months ago, we were standing in the rain kissing one another on my birthday. His blonde hair has grown since then. I twirl my finger around his hair, making soft curls. I close my eyes and allow my hand to continue with the repetitive movement.

"This is becoming a habit."

I hear him say and chuckle, still with my eyes closed. I hear him shuffle in bed and can feel his hot breath near my face. He buries his face in my chest and allows me to continue caressing his hair.

"I could stay like this forever." he mumbles.

"Well, unless you want to explain to my boss why I'm late this morning..."

"I outrank him..." his voice comes through muffled. He kisses me softly on my neck, teasing me. "Or, we can call in sick..." His hands drifts towards my belly and traces small concentric circles.

I hum distractedly in response. His hand moves further south. Both our phones ring. The alarm reminds us it's time to get up. Daniel grunts in my belly and I chuckle. Daniel flexes his arms up and gives me a peck.

"Let's get up sleepy head," I say. "We can continue this later on."

He jumps off the bed. "Going to shower. Want to join me?"

I smile in response but stay still.

"Your loss!" he yells and darts to the bathroom.

I reach for my phone and put the wi-fi on. Within seconds, I see an email from Wendy. I open it and start reading it.

'Dear Natalie,

Hope all is well with you. With the end of your internship approaching, we need potential dates for my visit so you can submit your final report.  I will give you a list of everyone that I need to interview on the day of my visit.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Wendy'

I sit up and re-read the email. Three months ago, this wouldn't matter. But it does now. I hear the shower running and start typing a response.

'Dear Wendy,'

I stop typing. Should this be something I should talk with Daniel? What do I say? Guess what the internship is almost over and I'm not coming back?

I get up and throw the phone on the bed. I pace nervously around the room. A picture of me and Daniel on my birthday is on the other side of the bed. 

I pick up the phone and stare at the same line. I need to give her a date. My throat closes and I close my phone and run to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. I gulp the liquid down my throat and look at another picture of us on the fridge. The water makes a detour towards my lungs and I cough uncontrollably.

Daniel runs out with his towel hanging around his waist. "Hey, are you okay?"

I nod yes but continue to cough while holding the kitchen counter with one hand. Daniel takes the glass that started this trouble and pours more water.

"Here. Drink slowly."

I take the glass and take small sips while steadying my breathing.

"What happened?"

"Just went in the wrong pipe." I chuckle awkwardly.

Daniel nods and heads back to the room. "We need to get changed, Kleiner, or we will be late," he says from inside the room.