As he reached that conclusion, Ling Xiao also knew already...

No matter how grand the conferring celebration was this time, the Emperor would not grant him power.

Since Ling Xiao already thought it will be so, he was rather indifferent to the whole ceremony business.

He was only a puppet being used in a performance for the people.

When he reached the scene, all the officials were already there.

In the great hall, the Emperor sat on his golden Dragon Throne, wearing a golden dragon robe. An intimidating dragon power was emitted from his entire body. All the while civil and military officials stood on his left and right, leaving a single path in the middle that had a sumptuous red carpet spread on the ground. 

Ling Xiao was led by his arm to enter. Everyone within knelt and respectfully and loyally called out, "Long Live King Consort!"

The tone of that call completely woke up Ling Xiao, who was still muddle-headed from just getting out of bed.

His eyes widen in surprise and he looked around. He did not know most of the officials in the hall, yet among those he did know, one of them was Lan Wei.

He kept silent as he observed the scene and stepped onto the beautiful red carpet, walking step by step carefully to the Emperor.

He was wearing a ceremonial robe dyed entirely in red today, which thickly bounded him with three to four layers.

The layer on the very surface was a bright red shawl, embroidered with many flowers and dragged behind at least two meters long. Its borders were golden.

Inside was a gorgeous scarlet male skirt; the inner one was long while the outside one was sort, adding up to two layers.

The skirt was arranged to look like it had many more layers, and it made Ling Xiao's body look rather slender.

The Emperor sat on the Dragon Throne and watched Ling Xiao approach, unable to take his eyes off. Though he originally loved it when Ling Xiao wore plain white clothing, now that he was dressed entirely in red, it looked very seductive.

The splendid red outlined his appearance, his soft eyes made him even prettier.

The Emperor's gaze deepen as he watched Ling Xiao kneel before him. The latter then loudly shouted, "Long Live Your Majesty!"

His voice was slightly husky and carried a minor sex appeal, causing the Emperor's eyes to darken. Without moving his gaze away, he waved his hand to the eunuch by the side, ordering him to read out loud an edict, which was already written long ago.

"Hear out His Royal Majesty's imperial edict! Family name Ling, born Xiao. Bright and acute, possess high moral and multi talents. Both his integrity and capabilities has won Our heart. On this joyful day, he shall be conferred the title of 'King Consort' and due to his many abilities, shall also be giving the position of High Official of the Ministry of Works and its authority, which will give him the right to join Our court. The former Minister of Works, Liu Qing, will assist and obey him from this day onwards. We announce this to the world! Let it be known to all!"

High Official of the Ministry of Works?

Ling Xiao raised his head, utterly stunned at the announcement. His eyes met with the Emperor's serene double pupils eyes, which cause his heart to suddenly beat faster. He quickly lowered his head, knelt on the ground and respectfully raised his hands to receive the imperial decree.

"Ling Xiao thanks Your Majesty for your grand grace! May Your Majesty live for many years!"

He did not know why, but when the edict solemnly landed in his hands, he felt as if he was burned by a sweet hot potato, causing him to jump a bit in alarm.