Ch-54

The strict arrangement within the Imperial Study gave people a stifling feel. Trembling with fear, Ling Xiao knelt on the ice-cold floor, his face full of nervousness.

Only two people have remained inside the room; the Emperor and Ling Xiao himself.

"What is your name?" The Emperor suddenly walked in front of him, overshadowing Ling Xiao with his tall figure, bringing with it a sense of oppression.

Ling Xiao hurriedly replied respectfully, "Answering Your Majesty, this servant is called Xiao Lingzi."[1]

"We asked you, what was your name before you entered the palace?"

The Emperor's voice was very flat, like he was asking about an insignificant matter, but it was enough to cause the kneeling Ling Xiao some doubt. However, even if he was doubtful, he still did not dare to not reply. He could only deferentially reply to him, "Answering Your Majesty, this servant was called Ling Xiao."

"Ling Xiao." The Emperor chewed over the name, pursed his lips and asked, "Are you here for your family's master?"

Ling Xiao dipped his head, "Yes."

The Emperor raised an eyebrow and looked down at the kneeling little eunuch, "You're pretty honest."

"Your Majesty, Master is wholly devoted to you. You have not been present for a while and Master is already wasting away." Ling Xiao saluted and answered.

The Emperor heard that, swept his gaze across the little eunuch and turned to walk to the table. Waving his hand, he said, "You can go."

The Emperor's tone sounded displeased and Ling Xiao was helpless, so he could only salute and reply, "This servant... will leave."

Ling Xiao opened his eyes in a daze, looking at the cotton veil above him and at his surroundings. Only then did he notice it was very late at night and there were no other presences in the room. There was only a dim yellow lantern light flickering.

Just now... that was just a dream...

Ling Xiao turned to the side and sat at the edge of the bed, a complicated look in his gaze. He had unexpectedly dreamed of an old matter from his past life. Mo Qi had just entered the palace at that time and was just barely conferred a title. She did not have anything the Emperor paid attention to and suffered for several days. Not seeing the Emperor come, Ling Xiao thought up of a way.

But the Ling Xiao back then had also just entered the palace. He did not have enough connections and he did not understand his circumstances well. How would he dare to randomly think of a way? So he could only brazenly go ask for permission to see the Emperor, thinking that even if he can't get the Emperor to consider Mo Qi, he could at least get some insight on how the Emperor's mind worked.

Ever since their first meeting, Ling Xiao could clearly feel the Emperor's displeasure when he talked to him about Mo Qi. However, he did succeed that day since the Emperor had shown up in Mo Qi's palace that very night.

Ling Xiao originally thought that the reason why the Emperor showed up was become of his words and that he could feel Mo Qi's deep love. However, Ling Xiao slowly started to understand and was certain by the end that the reason the Emperor came was because of some other interesting point he paid attention to.

And yet, the Ling Xiao of his past life never found out just what was it that took the Emperor's interest. He noticed though that after the Emperor asked him his name, he would habitually use 'Ling Xiao' to address him.

When Ling Xiao met the Emperor in this lifetime, he had remembered the event from before. Rather than replying to the Emperor that his name was 'Xiao Lingzi', he directly answered 'Ling Xiao' just like the way the Emperor wanted.